All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Writing what you know? by Janice Seagraves

 Writing what you know?

Does anyone follow that advice?

I'm a detail writer and what that means is I do a hell of a lot of research.

I write first and research later. But I do such a deep dive into research, I become an expert in that field. 

Do I use all my research? No. Why? Because that can be boring.

I don't mean to brag, but my first book was set in the Bahamas with an Australian hero. Have I ever been to the Bahamas? No.

I just did a hell of a lot of research. 

But my editor and publisher but through that not only had I been there, but I was from Australia. 

My current books are both magic stories i.e., urban fantasy and high fantasy. 

Again research.

I also write sci-fi romance. I've never been to space, nor have I ever been to an alien planet. 

Again research. 

Don't be afraid to write outside of your experience. You can do research to fill the gaps in your knowledge. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a three in one.

Exodus Arcon on kindle unlimited. Do me a favor and check out.

Amazon.com: Exodus Arcon Three in One: Chronicles of Arcon eBook : Seagraves, Janice: Kindle Store


The first three books in the Chronicles of Arcon Series.
Planet Arcon is in trouble. Before their planet tears itself apart, The Arcons built three colony ships to take them across the stellar reaches of space… towards Earth their new home. But, only the ruling class and the most brilliant minds can come. The rest must take their chances with the lottery.
One family cheats.
The Arcons are coming…. Are you ready?


2 comments:

Kelley Heckart said...

I agree with you, Janice. If writers followed that rule, there would be no historical stories, stories set in the future, any fantasy, or sci-fi stories.

Janice Seagraves said...

Thank you for the comment, Kelly.

So true.

Janice Seagraves~

Share buttons