All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Multiple Personalities #names #amwriting #RB4U

Pen Names or Multiple Personalities?

Hello and thank you for stopping by today. With my marriage, divorce, and remarriage, my name changed which was sometimes a problem for people. My step-son is dating one of my former students and she remembers me with a different last name. It leads to some fun talks as we laugh about having drinks with teachers. 

Some of my favorite authors have more than one name. Nora Roberts who writes contemporary and paranormal romances under her own name, also writes a futuristic police series under JD Robb. Michigan author, Nancy Gideon goes by three different names, Dana Ransom, Rosalyn West and her own. Another author used her "real" name for her YA books but her pen name took off and now she's re-branding all her books under the pen name. 

For me, it was always too confusing. I wrote under my married name (Melissa Keir). It was also my only name on FB until my husband's cousin married an woman named Melissa and she changed her name on FB!  

If I used a pen name, I worried about people finding all my books. I didn't want them confused about who I was. Then there is the additional marketing for two people. I spoke at length to people who used pen names and those who didn't...and then I took the plunge.

I have written two children's books under my childhood name- Missy Watling. My experts suggested that people who read my children's book wouldn't necessarily want to read my small town romances. There are different audiences for each, but I hope that my faithful readers will take a chance on my children's books. Both books have important messages and will be favorites of young kids with their beautiful illustrations. 

Huzzah- A Pool Mouse is available now in ebook and print.

Huzzah loves puddles and loves to watch the children swimming. He's too scared to get in the pool until he must save the day.

Come along as a mouse learns to take chances and finds that being yourself is the most important thing.  This sweet tale will be a family favorite for years to come.

Do you use a pen name? Has it ever been too confusing when you search for your favorite author?

Until Next Month,

Melissa Keir (and Missy Watling)


3 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

Your children's book looks so cute. I published my first book under my real name, Carolyn Matkowsky. I soon found out no one could pronounce it or spell it. It's actually very easy if you divide it into 3 syllables, but people have a problem with names over 2 syllables. I came up with an easier name that reflected my Italian heritage, Cara Marsi. Authors and readers who don't know me personally call me Cara, but that's not my name. It's Carolyn. I would like to have used my maiden name, but Palmarella was harder to spell and pronounce than Matkowsky. I think it's good you can use your real name.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

By now, most people know my REAL last name is Batman. However, I'm often asked if that is my pen name. I'm like no. I couldn't make up one any better. LOL

Melissa Keir said...

@Cara- Do you ever feel like sometimes you are hiding in plain sight? I know that names are always so tricky. Watling ended up being called every other thing!

@Vicki- when you are Batman... why be anything else??

Share buttons