All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Monday, January 14, 2019

Enter Writing Contests - Yes or No? by Marianne Stephens

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgxHHftxp94rpBDCFxSNGRrk2QGzgomABRaepOJvvxuczFigLTejHRL-j50dmMawpBaPZ-jxYsCMXk6Q9sQotsOBZ22XtMVI6WHWZxFsGJgMNGMXOlWXgV47yIshvxtXN_vAIUh1kR8BQY/s1600/yourdoku.jpg 


Do contests help you as a writer? Are they frustrating? Is it necessary to enter contests to succeed?

I've entered my share of contests in the past, and have found most to be slightly helpful. Some were wonderful and gave some insight into my writing, both good and bad. But most have left me shaking my head and wondering why I wasted my time and money to enter.

Comments from contests should be well-written and logical. By what I receive, I shouldn't have to wonder whether or not the judge has been writing 2 days or 20 years. Guidance for judging should be given and understood. I expect some type of professionalism...and so should you.

I sent in a paranormal romance entry. One judge wrote she couldn't suspend disbelief. Huh? Why would you judge a paranormal if you can't "open" your mind to the unexplained? How could I find anything she said helpful...and there wasn't much she liked....so a low score was given.

Have I made changes after receiving credible comments? Absolutely. Would I enter contests again? No. I no longer enter contests.
Does winning a contest mean you'll get published? I know people who have won and are still waiting to publish. We have to remember that whoever is judging is giving their OWN opinion, and not necessarily that of a seasoned editor or agent...unless you get to that final round where editors and agents do a "final" judgment of entries.

As a judge, I cringe when I get something that has spelling/grammar errors, lots of POV changes, too much/little character/scene description. I once read an entry and by the time I'd read 30 pages, I still hadn't met the hero. Very little had been said about the heroine and there was a travelogue given describing Alaska.

I remember reading another entry where there were 8-10 people in a scene...and few dialogue tags. I had no idea who was talking with every comment made.

Do YOU enter contests? What do you think about them?

http://www.mariannestephens.net
 

7 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

Before I published I entered many contests, hoping to final and get the eye of an editor or agent. Finaled a few times but they got me nothing. The best critique I got was from a judge whose score kept me from finaling my paranormal in a prestigious contest.The other 2 judges loved the story, but the third asked me if I was writing a thriller or a paranormal romance. She made me really think about the book.In another contest, a judge accepted that my hero was a werewolf but not that he was tall because he was 500 years old and men back in that time were short. I'm still shaking my head over that.

Since I've published I've entered contests for published works. Finaled and even won some, and they did nothing to boost sales. Contests don't really help. Maybe back in the day before indies when winning a contest was the only way to get an editor or agent's attention, but no more.

darlene deluca said...

Occasionally you may get a nugget of good, constructive criticism, but for the most part, I haven't found them helpful, and they can be a money suck. I've entered a few where my results ended up being completely confusing -- one judge loved the thing another one hated! I entered one popular (and pricey) contest once and got outstanding scores and comments in every category, but still didn't final!

Janice Seagraves said...

I did for a while, but I don't anymore and I never got any feedback either.

Janice~

Melissa Keir said...

I entered some when I was a newbie. But I didn't get any response. It was like they just took the money. I find many of the contests to be popularity contests. I learned early on that the people with the most friends won those. The piece that's hard is what you said... judges each have their own opinions and many can be fly by night, not someone whose opinion will get your book recognized.

M. S. Spencer said...

I enter now and then--the last time was a big one in Florida I'd done well in before. In the first phase 2 judges read the first 30 pages. I didn't get past that phase, but the organizers sent me the comments of the 2 judges. It was enlightening! While neither had problems with mechanics (description, grammar etc.) they obviously came from opposite ends of the spectrum as to taste. What one liked the other one didn't. It really brought home to me how subjective the judging is. And I learned from both. Perhaps if you enter lots & lots you will start to be recognized, but I'm not sure it's worth as far as improving your writing goes. It doesn't hurt to have a badge on your website though.

Paris said...

Very timely post! I have entered a few and placed in local chapter RWA contests but I haven't bothered for a number of years for many of the same reasons that have been listed. I've noticed lately that there are a few contests out there that are judged by readers and have considered taking a chance, just because I'm trying to shake things up by trying something new:)

Harlie Williams said...

Personally, I have entered one contest and loved the feedback. As judge for many RWA contests over the years, I give a lot of feedback when I can. Some contests are set up NOT to give feedback. Frustrating on both accounts.

Marika/Harlie

Share buttons