All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Interview of Unpublished Writer Harlie Williams


RBRU is always thrilled to present unpublished writer interviews! Please welcome Harlie Williams.

BIO:
I’m just a city girl living in the country now.I was born in the great state of Oklahoma (Boomer Sooner) and raised in Dallas, TX. I lived in Dallas until 5 years ago when the hubby got the opportunity to open a store in a small town about an hour southeast of Dallas and we’ve been there every since. I’m a married mother of one very active 1st grade boy that is the love of my life…well, next to my husband. I married when I was older (37) and would marry my husband all over again. I’m also a hockey/baseball/college football fanatic. I’m the girl that you will find at a sports bar talking to the men about sports and drinking beer and then helping their wives/girlfriends with the ins and outs of what’s going on in the game.

Website: Not yet. I know I need one if I ever get published.
Blog: http://mywritingbyharlie.blogspot.com-writing

Q: What genre do you enjoy writing and why?
A: Highly sensual small town contemporaries. I was born in Oklahoma but raised in Dallas, TX. Growing up my parents took my younger brother and myself to visit our relatives in Oklahoma so we would have a sense of small town life. My mother was raised on a farm and my dad was raised in town, as they say.

Q: What has been the most encouraging thing that’s helped you stay focused in your writing?
A: Getting feedback from people that read my blog. I also contribute to Yahoo from time to time and it’s interesting to read what other people, aside from friends and family, say about what I write about. Plus, I had a writer tell me that I was not erotic enough in my sex scene that I sent her and when I read it, she was right. I stopped worrying about the bedroom and focused on the other parts of the story and its just flowed every since.

Q: What has been the most discouraging thing that’s happened in your writing?
A: Finding out about a rejection in a roundabout way and I still don’t have the “official” word yet. I didn’t write a word or read a book for about a month. I’m just now finding my groove again. I know that rejection is the name of the game but to find out the way I did; it was completely devastating.

Q: Do you do research?
A: Not really. I’m originally from Oklahoma, grew up in Dallas and live in the country now. I spent my summers growing up in Oklahoma so the research is in my head.

Q: If so, what type have you done?
A: I have called some of my friends and cousins that still live in Oklahoma to ask them about specific things but overall, I just remember hanging out on farms/ranches, the corner drugstores and the community pools.

Q: What do you think is the key to a memorable romantic story?
A: The emotional connection that the couple have with each other. Without it, nothing else matters.

Q: Where do you get your story ideas?
A: I actually came up with my current WIP in about 30 minutes. In fact, it’s the story I’m writing for NaNo. The first ever story idea I had, I’ve written about 30 pages but I’ve put it away for now. It’s a difficult WIP for me right now.

Q: What part of the whole writing process is the hardest for you?
A: Finding the time. I work 40 hours a week, married with a 1st grade son, so time is precious. My hubby is very supportive and really likes what I write.

Q: What part of the whole writing process is the easiest for you?
A: Editing. I know I’m weird.

Q: Is there someone who’s been extra helpful with your writing?
A: Actually a couple of people have been instrumental for me not to give up and keep pushing. I cannot thank Regina Carlysle, Maria Durst, Kim Siedel, Cari Quinn and my CP, April London enough for the encouragement; kick in the pants and overall cheerleading that they have done for me. I would have given up if not for them.

Q: Hero or heroine. Which is easiest to write and why.
A: For me so far, it’s been the hero. I see my hero as if he was sitting in front of me telling me his story. In fact, the story I’m writing from NaNo is in the male POV. Men are basic creatures with flaws but are specific in what they want and need. Much easier to write.

Q: Hero or heroine. Which is hardest to write and why.
A: The heroine is the hardest for me. I know, she should be the easiest but my heroines are flawed and highly emotional characters. I’m trying to tone them down a bit because as much as I like them, they sometimes are coming across as whiners!

Q: Describe your writing routine (place, hours, time of day, mood, etc.)
A: I usually write at work or on the weekends. My job affords me the time during the downtimes. I’m a receptionist/secretary so I have a lot of downtime. On the weekends, it’s my net book and me. Hubby works every other Saturday and he takes our son to work with him, so Saturday mornings are golden to me. Most of the time, I write in complete silence. Sometimes, I will write with the television on but I block it out. Its white noise to me.

Q: Are you in a critique group? If so, tell us how it helps you.
A: Yes, I am and that’s were I met my CP, April. I’ve learned a lot about my writing and the writing of others.It has taught me the value of taking the time to re-read and self-edit your work. In the beginning, I tended to rush through it and learning through others have taught me to slow down, read it out loud and sometimes laugh at what I wrote.

Q: Are you ready to promo your work?
A: Yes, I am. I have an author page already on Facebook (I know, a bit premature LOL), I’m on twitter a lot and I have my writing blog, too. Plus, my regular Facebook page. I do not have a website yet but will if I ever get published.

Q: What are you working on now, and do you have a publisher in mind to send it to?
A: Like I said I’m writing a piece for NaNo where there could be a sequel. My dream publisher is Harlequin. I know it’s a dream but dream big I say. Actually, I have a couple of publishers that I’m very interested in right now. The Wild Rose Press, Carina Press, Noble and Decadent are where I will target. I like their business models and the way they conduct themselves in social media circles and I’ve never read a bad book from any of them.

Q: You’re on a deserted island in a comfy beach house (with a magical power source), a laptop, and two handsome cover models. What do you do?
A: Wow, that’s a loaded question. A lot, but don’t tell my husband…

Anything else you’d like to add?
I really want to thank you Marianne and to everyone else that reads the Romance Books R Us blog. I love this blog and the writers that are on it. You have been encouraging, supportive and fun to talk to on the loop and on the blog.

Facebook author page is under Harlie Writer.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Harlie-Writer/224885394212458?ref=pb
Twitter @marika67

15 comments:

Fran Lee said...

Nice to meet you, Harlie! Good luck with your writing.

Harlie Williams said...

Thank you Fran. I'm so glad that I didn't sound like a dork in the interview. And yes, I worried about it.

Regina Carlysle said...

You are really working hard, Harlie, and I know you can do this. Finding time (considering your EDJ and daily schedule) is really tricky, isn't it?

Katalina Leon said...

Best wishes to you Harlie, dream big!
XXOO Kat

Casea Major said...

Harlie - The difference between success and failure is the direction of your will. And you are headed in the right direction. Keep on - success is on your path. Hugs and love to you.

C. Zampa said...

Good to see you, as always, Harlie!
And what a cool interview!
Keep up the good work!

Harlie Williams said...

@Regina...my schedule is crazy and its been even crazier lately. Sigh at least I'll get a break with the holidays. We are leaving Brian at my parents house after Thanksgiving for the rest of the weekend and Christmas week, he will stay with his other grandparents.
@Katalina....I will always dream big! What else can I do?
@Casea Hugs and love to you, too. I'm working, I'm working. Promise.
@Carol...you know I love you and thank you for stopping by. It was a fun interview.

Kenzie Michaels said...

LOL:) My bff groans when she answers her phone and I say, 'I need you to stretch your memory...' Friends and family are awesome for research, aren't they?

Don't give up! If writing and being published some day is your dream, it will happen, but not if you stop trying:)

Harlie Williams said...

Thanks Kenzie. Actually they love it. Especially my male cousins. I'm the oldest cousin, so it makes them feel good when they get the call. Men....I swear!

Adele Dubois said...

Like you, Harlie, I'm the woman at the bar talking about sports to the men and explaining the game to the women. I especially love football.

Don't let rejections stop you from moving forward. They're part of the process. Work on multiple projects. That way, you won't focus on the outcome of one submission.

Best of luck!

~Adele

Sandy said...

Hi Harlie,

Everyone gets rejected many times so don't let it stop you.

A nice interview.

Liz said...

good luck sister! I'm sure you will succeed...I appreciate the time you take to follow me all around!
Keep at it!
Liz

Paris said...

Best of luck with your writing, it sounds as if you're very dedicated and that's what it takes in this business:)

Cari Quinn said...

Harlie, great blog! And thank you! I'm so honored you mentioned me. I truly believe that you can go as far as you want to and I know you have the drive to succeed. It's a tough business but love for the written word is what keeps us all going...and in my case, lots of coffee, lol.

And I'm with you...I love sports too. Basketball season makes me inordinately happy.

Keep writing your excellent blogs! :)

April London said...

Harlie!! Congrats on the interview!!! You are rocking! *sniff* You mentioned me and nearly made me cry!!! Keep chuggin!
April

Share buttons