All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Imaginary Friends

By now you've hopefully met Marc and Amber from All She Ever Wanted, and Steve, Angie, Brad, and Emma from Wild At Heart:)

What you may not know is, Tammy and Kevin from Teacher's Pet will hopefully soon join them on virtual bookshelves, as well as Courtney and Dustin from Appetite For Desire, arriving in September (see Kenzie's Place for the new cover).

My other friends include:

Natalie and Brian
Katherine and Trent
Tori and Travis
Thalia and Rick
Ashley and Keith
Misty and Cory
Becca and Mark
Cara and Austin
Tricia and Brock
Krystal and Josh
Jessica and Luke

Sometimes they come to me in dreams, either sleeping or daydreams. Songs on the radio causes them to start talking, either to me or to each other. News items can have the same effect.

When I learned to read, sometimes the characters from whatever book I had finished would 'continue' telling me their story, including me into the new chapters as a friend, or maid, or even a little sister. The first time I paid attention to this, I was Beau's younger sister, the rebellious one, in The Flame and the Flower. Yes, I realize he's still a baby at the end of the book, but hey...what happened after he grew up? What happens twenty years later, when Brandon and Heather are watching their daughter prepare for her 'coming out' ball? Did anyone not ever think of that?

Right now, everyone has been pretty silent. Probably since Steve, Angie, Brad, and Emma are being promoted and scrutinized by more than just myself and critque partners, lol:) And Tammy and Kevin, and Courtney and Dustin are waiting in the wings to be edited

But once everything calms down, I have a feeling one set of characters will want their chance at center stage, and things will click into place once more.

Who are YOUR imaginary friends, and how many are clamoring to be heard?

7 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I know what you mean about characters living for you 'beyond the book'. Happens to me all the time. I'll be musing about my hero/heroine getting married, having kids, etc. etc. :)

Sandy said...

Sometimes, I hate to leave my characters, and then sometimes I can't wait to get away from them. lol

Tess MacKall said...

Good way to look at all of this, Molly. My characters have turned their backs on me for quite a while now. So I do other things until they get over their little temper tantrum. Looks like this is going to be a long one, though.

I guess people in general might think it odd we carry these voices around in our heads. But what is odd to me is when they stop talking. Not a good thing at all.

Great post.

Barbara Westbrook said...

I always hate to leave my characters. Right now I'm missing the alpha male in my last book!

Molly Daniels said...

Tina: Good to know I'm not the only one who does this:) My sister used to think I was crazy when I wanted to add stuff to movies we'd just seen, or books read. "That wasn't in the book/movie!"

Sandy: I had to literally 'stop' an argument in my head so I could step away from the stove and write down what they were saying! They were NOT happy with me, but it was better than a burned dinner, lol:)

Tess: I need three days in a hot tub again. Maybe the voices will return? Or then again, maybe they're letting me have my March Madness holiday:)

Molly Daniels said...

Barbara: I have a favorite character too. Sometimes he pops up when I least expect it. (cough..my 'interview' with the men from Arbor U...cough)

Sandy said...

Molly, my theory about our muses is when they stop coming around it's because you don't have time for them.

Share buttons