Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Want to have magic in your life every day? Break from your routine and enjoy simple things just for yourself. Here are my top ten suggestions:
10. Don’t anticipate, be spontaneous. If you plan too much it ruins the magic. Okay, so you’re a planner. At least write down my ten things and post them on your car dash. Then, in the middle of errands etc., just do one of the things on the list (uh, don’t do it while driving, okay?)
9. Have dessert first, or better yet, go to a restaurant and just order dessert (even if you’re on a diet, once will not hurt).
8. Take a disadvantaged person to the movies.
7. Buy a book in the bookstore for someone in line, or tell the person at the drive-through, you’re paying for a latte, burger, chicken dinner whatever for the next driver. Don’t do drive-through? Drive-through anyway and pay it forward for the person behind you.
6. Walk through the grass barefoot.
5. Read a book from a genre or an author you’ve never read before. Then leave a review for it--just out of the blue.
4. Go on a picnic lunch (Too cold? So? Dress warmly and have an insulated carrier—OR have the picnic lunch inside on the floor). It doesn't have to be fancy. I have had a picnic lunch outside composed of canned sardines, cheese and saltine crackers (one of my date’s selections a long time ago—and no, the lunch wasn’t part of the date—it was an extra). Okay, sounds hideous to most of you. But it tasted great out there communing with nature.
3. Meditate outside for twenty minutes (the quieter the place the better).
2. Go on a long walk or a bike ride.
1. Spend a night at home with someone special and no television or computer.
You’ll be surprised how much better you feel after you break from your routine and see life through a brand new set of filters. It is, after all, magic!
Bobbye Terry writes as herself as well as Daryn Cross in fantasy/sci-fi and Terry Campbell (as a co-writer) in romantic comedy.
Her latest book, ROSE, is a romantic comedy novella.