All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Editing? By Joanne Jaytanie



You can usually tell when an author is writing, or better yet…editing. How? You ask. If you follow an author on social media, you will start to see a pattern. When the author is writing or editing, they’re on very little. Maybe a couple of posts at a particular time of day or sometimes nothing at all for a day or two. And how can you tell when an author is procrastinating? Not writing at all – you guessed it…she/he is on all their social media sites posting all day long. Of course, this entire interpretation goes completely out the window if they have a PA.

Over the last month, I’ve been concentrating on my writing and word count. I’ve tried to drop into most of my social media. However, the real problem is getting out. It’s like being hypnotized by a bright shiny object…oooowa, look at that cute doggie cartoon…awe, those are pretty kittens…did that really?! Yep. One can get sucked right into the vortex never to immerge. Well, at least not until the kids get home, or dinner time, or Saturday night.

I’ve gotten better. I put myself on a time limit when I can surf around and see what the rest of the world is doing.

Yes, I’ve been deep in editing. My upcoming release is in final edits. I’d like to share an excerpt with you.


Twice as Bad ~ Miss Demeanor, P.I., Book 2

River Nightingale threw open the door to the Miss Demeanor P.I. office. Cory looked up and burst out in laughter, snorting as she struggled to breathe. Water streamed off River and pooled at her feet.
“Is this your new look?” Cory was laughing so hard, she started to hiccup. “Gotta say, your definition of a new hairstyle and mine are worlds apart.”
River threw her administrative assistant a seething, I’m-pissed-as-hell look. Cory covered her mouth and tried to stifle her laughter as she stood up to get a better view of the waterlogged River.
“Really, River. You look like you’re trying to live up to your name. You do know there’s an outfit for this,” Cory said as she drew an invisible line up and down River. “It’s called a swimsuit. I can take you out after work and introduce the two of you.” Cory’s eyes widened and she squeezed her nose between her fingers. “What in blazes is that stench?” She gagged, still hiccuping and clamped her mouth shut, trying to stifle both the hiccups and the giggling.

“Are you done cackling?” River planted her hands on her hips and snarled. “This was not the way I planned my morning. Knock it off and grab me a towel.” River tilted her head in the direction of the bathroom.
“What happened?” Cory asked as she dutifully headed toward the bathroom to grab a towel.
“Shay and Maile didn’t tell you?” River asked as Cory vanished.
“Tell me what?” Cory yelled from the bathroom. “I haven’t seen or heard from either of them.” She stepped back into the lobby and handed River the towel.
“They’re not here?” Shivering, River took the towel and gave her short blonde hair a quick rub, then blotted her clothes the best she could.
“Nope. You’re the first to arrive.” Cory rubbed her hands together in hopeful anticipation. “You mean my day could get even better?”
“We were all supposed to meet here.”
“I’m guessing if they’re in the same condition you’re in, they went straight home to change. Maile was the only one that took me seriously. You and Shay should have listened when I suggested you all bring a change of clothes to keep on hand.” Cory smirked at her boss. “I laid some of my things out on the bench. Get out of that outfit and into something clean and dry. I’ve placed that stench: you smell like dead fish. Why do you smell like day-old sushi?”
“The asshat I was chasing through Pike Place Market got lucky. He double backed on me and pushed me into a couple barrels full of icy water and salmon. It was like being on a white-water river ride with no raft.” River left a trail of water behind her as she headed for the bathroom. “You’ve got to be kidding.” River’s high-pitched voice resonated throughout the office.
“What’s the saying about beggars and choosy?” Cory leaned against the doorjamb of the bathroom. Rays of sunlight streamed through the oversized windows of the agency and accentuated the bright blue streaks of color throughout Cory’s glistening short black hair.
River held up a black miniskirt with hot pink polka dots in one hand, and a black-and-pink-striped top in the other. “I can’t wear this. Swimming with the salmon was bad enough. Now you want me to wear this nearly nothing miniskirt. My day is turning out to be twice as bad, and it’s barely begun.” She rolled her eyes and squinted at Cory with a searing glare. “I won’t even be able to bend over for fear of—”
“That’s why you wear these black tights,” Cory’s eyes sparkled, as she picked up the tights and dangled them in front of River. “You could go without—but I wouldn’t advise it.” She held the skirt up to River’s waist, to guesstimate where the hem would hit on River’s legs.
“You’re enjoying all of this just a bit too much.” River slid Cory a sideways glance. She supposed she should be thankful she didn’t have to walk another seven blocks up to her apartment in her current attire and odor. She’d managed to make it all the way to the agency with only a few homeless people noticing, due to the early hour. Now, both cars and people were rapidly filling the streets. She vowed she would pack up a spare outfit and leave it at the agency from here on. But she would keep that to herself for now. No sense giving Cory even more reason to gloat. “I’m going to jump in the shower and wash off the mornings humiliation.”




















P.I. – I Love You, Miss Demeanor, P.I., Book 1 is available on:
 Amazon       Barnes & Noble       Kobo        

Until next month…

No comments:

Share buttons