All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Rainy Day Books

Southern Michigan weather has always been erratic and each year, thanks to climate change, it keeps getting worse. Eighty degrees one day, then later in the week it's 50 and raining. Fortunately for me, I have a cure for the rainy day blues. BOOKS.

There is something inately comforting about curling up with a book and a cup of tea in a cushy chair, listening to the wind and the patter of rain on the windows. The cloudy skies change the colors of the trees and grass, adding a blue tint and brightness to the blades and leaves. With few people venturing outside for walks or runs, it's easy to believe you and your book are alone in the world, unless you have a dog or cat for cuddles and company, which, in my opinion, makes the rainy day reading experience all the better.

So what's best to read on a lazy, rainy day? Everyone has a different opinion, of course. For me, there are two categories. Old favorites, the kind you've read often enough that you're speaking along with the author in your mind, or new books from favorite authors or series.

Here's a few of mine.

  • Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (I have a complete collection, so any story is fine.)
  • Jane Austen: Persuasion is my favorite.
  • Anything, new or old,by Jayne Anne Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle
  • Any of Nora Roberts's paranormal trilogies or her JD Robb futuristic mysteries
  • Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, particularly the one's featuring the city guard or Death and his granddaughter Susan.
  • Anything new or old from Stephanie Laurens
  • Rebecca York's Decorah Security or Marshall family werewolf stories.
  • Dirk Gently's HolisticDetective Agency and Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams
  • Christine Feehan's Sea Haven books. I like her Carpathian series as well.
  • Roberta Gellis's Roselynde Chronicles
So those are some of mine? What books do you like on a rainy day?

2 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

Right now I'm spending time working on a project for my publishing house and packing up my own home since we are moving at the end of July. I try to fit in reading each night before bed.

Karen H said...

I'm in Southeast Michigan and weather is always radically changeable! Never know from one minute to the next what will happen. But we're tough...we can handle it!

That said, I can't say that I have particular books I enjoy reading while it rains. I don't have a re-read shelf...no room for that with the over 600+ books I have waiting to be read the first time. I'm a list maker and based on my TBR list of titles, I just make a list of the titles I want to read next. Of course that list is not cast in stone and can be as changeable as Michigan weather! I pretty much read whatever sounds good to me at that moment.

Right now, I'm reading Becoming by Michelle Obama and it very good. I highly recommend it.

Share buttons