All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, February 24, 2019

A Rose by Any Other Name




What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

The above quote is from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. How important is a person’s name? I recently read an article about author pen names that got me thinking about this question.
Hugues Merle - Romeo and Juliet [1879] | Hugues Merle (Saint… | Flickr


This is from the article by Sapiens: “Names are an essential part of our everyday lives. But for romance writers, they are something more: tools for career success. Writers create new names with the aim of using them to manage and increase their readership. They use them to preserve anonymity, to separate their work in different genres, and to create a brand.”

The article also states this: “The name should be short so it can be large on the book cover, and it should be easy to spell. It should be near the beginning of the alphabet so your books don’t end up near the floor on bookstore shelves. And you should think about which authors would be placed next to your book in an alphabetically arranged order.” With digital books, this isn’t as important.

According to the article, Anglophone names that are fairly short, like Wiggs and Roberts, are popular for romance authors. Even French-Canadian authors are advised to Anglicize their names. Western literature has a long history of pen names. Women authors, especially in the nineteenth century, took male pen names. Even today, women who write in more male-dominated genres choose male names or gender-neutral names.

Up until the late twentieth century, publishers controlled romance authors’ names. In some cases, writers’ contracts stated they could not use that publisher’s pen name to write for other publishers.
Authors choose to use a pseudonym for different reasons. Some may write under a different name for different sub-genres. Some may want to reinvent themselves. No one knows if a new name can help a career, but some romance authors have branded themselves with a new name to revive a flagging career. A writer’s name is her brand.

I always wanted to publish under my real name. I’d worked really hard for a lot of years to publish, and darn it, I was using my own name so everyone would know my hard work paid off. My first book, A Catered Affair, from Avalon Books, was published as Carolyn Matkowsky, my true name. 



I think Matkowsky is easy to spell and pronounce. Just divide it into three syllables. However, we Americans have trouble pronouncing and spelling names over two syllables. In 2003, the year my Avalon book came out, I was nominated by readers of Affaire de Coeur Magazine as an up and coming author. I loved the nomination, but not the way the magazine fractured my name. Since my book was only available in libraries, I figured the readers who nominated me didn’t have a copy of my book in front of them when they submitted my name. And they couldn’t remember the spelling. 




I decided I needed a shorter name that was easier to spell and pronounce. I published my second book, Logan’s Redemption, from The Wild Rose Press, in 2007, under my new name.


Coming up with a fictitious name wasn’t easy. I wanted a name that meant something to me. My heritage is Mediterranean, 92% Italian with the rest Greece and the Balkans. Not a drop of English blood. I wanted a name that reflected my Italian heritage, which is why I discounted using an Anglo name.

I’d used my married name, Matkowsky, and that didn’t work. My maiden name is Palmarella, so that wouldn’t work. I thought of shortening Palmarella to Palmer, but didn’t reflect who I am. All my life, I’ve had a unique name. I wasn’t comfortable with something more common. I came up with Marsi after a trip to Italy in 2006. The Marsi were an important tribe during Roman times. They fought the Romans, then became allies. The Marsi originated in the province of Abruzzo, where my relatives are from. My own family tribe is the Marruccini. I found this out from an Australian cousin. I couldn’t use Marruccini either. I went with Marsi because it reflects my heritage and it’s short and easy to spell and pronounce.

I had to choose a first name. I chose Cara, which is sometimes used as a nickname for Carolyn. I’ve never had a nickname. My friends and family call me Carolyn. Cara goes well with Marsi, but I now wish I’d kept my true first name because many readers and authors know me as Cara and that’s what they call me.

I make no secret of my alter ego. My real name is splashed all over social media, along with my pen name. My Facebook pages are under Cara Marsi, but on my regular page you can see my real name, Carolyn Palmarella Matkowsky. I post as Cara Marsi, but friends and family will call me Carolyn when they post responses. I answer to Cara and Carolyn.

Fun fact: Georgia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, who nearly toppled Republican Brian Kemp last fall, writes romance novels under the name Selena Montgomery.

What about you authors? Do you have a pen name? Why? Or why not? How did you decide on a name?

Since we’re talking pen names, here’s some shameless promotion for Cara Marsi’s newest release, available for pre-order now.


WEDDED ON A DARE (LOVE ON A DARE BOOK 2)


When a struggling actress takes a role as the glamorous temporary wife of a wealthy playboy, she finds love doesn’t always come on cue.

Struggling actress Kate Carluccio showed up for her wedding but her groom bowed out without warning. He absconded not only with her heart, but also her parents’ life savings. Her confidence shaken, Kate’s determined to find a way to restore her parents’ money. Then she’s offered the role of a lifetime: step out of her colorful high-top sneakers and into the glammed-up role of socialite wife to a shallow, annoying playboy. If only Kate wasn’t also secretly attracted to him, the one-and-a-half million dollars he offers with his proposal of a marriage-of-convenience might be easier to accept.

Breathtakingly handsome, super rich, and sophisticated with a bad boy vibe, Zach Lyon is a tabloid favorite. He may be a vice-president at his father’s company, but up until now he’s just played a supporting role. But when he discovers two executives are conspiring to force his dad out and take over the company, Zach decides it’s time to step into the spotlight. What better way than to take a glamorous new wife to Las Vegas to spend the Christmas holiday at the home of one of the conspiring executives?

As the curtain rises on the eclectic house party, Kate and Zach play their roles against the backdrop of schemers and snobs, while hiding deep secrets of their own. Can Kate pretend to love Zach without revealing the true depth of her attraction? Can Zach prove to his father he has the stability to go from understudy to leading man? They may have wedded on a dare, but with the stage set for romance, their marriage-of-convenience might just turn into a marriage-to-last-a-lifetime.

The Links:










5 comments:

Debby said...

Interesting post! There are so many reasons for using a pen name. Thanks for sharing. When I wrote reviews I used a pen name for some.
debby236 at hotmail dot com from USa

Cara Marsi said...

Hi, Debby, thanks for reading and posting.

Jerry Marquardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerry Marquardt said...

I like a rose. They are by far my favorite flower to give or to receive.
versatileer(at)gmail(dot)com USA

Cara Marsi said...

Thanks, Jerry. I like roses too.

Share buttons