All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

It Began With Poetry #RB4U #melissa_keir


It Began with Poetry



Welcome to RB4U (or welcome back!). I'm glad to have you here today. April is National Poetry Month. If you didn't get a chance to enjoy some poetry last night, I highly recommend reading some! A couple of my favorite poets are Langston Hughes and Margaret Atwood (yes, she writes the most amazing poems). 

The celebration of poetry began in 1996 as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Poetry_Month). As a teacher, poetry is one of my favorite lessons to teach children because with poetry, students can be very creative with their choice of words, formatting and punctuation. Most fall in love with Acrostic poems first, but quickly find the freedom of free verse exciting.


My own journey in writing began with poetry. In middle school, junior high and high school, I wrote over one hundred poems about feelings and friendships. I fully admit the poems were sappy and very childish in their word choice. I felt I needed to rhyme...well, you can guess how they sound.

In college, I took some amazing classes with this excellent teacher who exposed me to a variety of different poets. Because of her, I began writing poetry again, but this time I worked to add my own twists and snark. In fact, one of my poems won an award at college. 


Here's the poem:

A Twisted Fairy Tale

Little Red Riding Hood?
Boy, they got that all wrong.
She was hot, you know, what a looker-
Not at all little, nicely rounded.
And she had hair to match that temper
like the sun, all fiery and golden.
After looking at her,
I never even noticed
a basket of goodies.

She walked in the woods everyday
with that wiggle and bounce in her step,
Trying to get my attention.
But I was too busy
with my work, and couldn’t
stop for her.

One day last week, maybe Tuesday?
She gave me that smile, you know the one.
And asked for my help picking
flowers for her sick Grandma.
Just the thought of her sick Grandma,
I had to help.

Then it happened-
As we were picking flowers,
She laid her cape on the grass-
She was all over me
like a treat to a starving man.
She was like an animal.

But when her boyfriend,
the Big Bad Hunter saw us,
She freaked- And blamed me.
She called me a Wolf
and said that I was after her basket of goodies.

So that’s the story, officer.
I’m innocent, not an animal
just misunderstood.
It’s girls like her who give
Fairy Tales a bad name.





I know the reason I'm most comfortable with Novella length stories is because of my background in poetry. Both require a strength in description with precise word choice.

A few years ago, I put together a book which contains my poetry as well as musings on life and some family recipes. The book is one of my favorites because it brings together different pieces of my life and showcases my feelings and thoughts. For me, writing about my fears, love, and anxiety has been a blessing. It helps me celebrate and deal with them. As well, they serve as a guidepost to my life. 



One woman’s musings become another woman’s courage…

What do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you worry about the person you’ve become? 


Sitting down at the computer, Melissa spent many hours reflecting on her life, family, and relationships. These musings, recipes, and poems tell the tale of one woman's changing thoughts and feelings about life. 

Come along with her as she explores her reflections, using her words which mirror her changes.


(in print and ebook on Amazon)

Until next month!
Keep writing!











Melissa 
www.melissakeir.com

5 comments:

N. N. Light said...

I love poetry and it's how I found my creative side in school. It started when I was ten and I wrote down my emotions. In high school, I had an amazing teacher who helped honed my writing skills. In both high school and in university, I won a few awards.

What a great poem, Melissa!

My favorite style of poems to write is free-style. It allows me to express my feelings without constraints.

Long live poets and poetry!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I went through a poetry phase beginning at age nine through marrying Handsome. And then it stopped. Eventually I found writing. I've used a poem in a story.

Paris said...

I read poetry as a child because I loved the way the words painted such a vivid picture. I still find scraps of paper with my scribbled musings and didn't think about it until I read your blog that I was telling stories, even then:) Great blog!

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you for the comments. I find poetry to be so exciting. The words just have to be "right" and they do evoke emotions and images.

Cara Marsi said...

I LOVE your poem. How clever! I, too, wrote poetry as a teen. Filled with teen angst and very sappy. My cousin, Kathleen O'Toole, is a published poet. My poetry was free style. I loved reading poetry. I can still recite the beginning of this one: "Abu Ben Adam, may his tribe increase, awoke one night from a deep dream of peace." It's been over 50 years since I studied that one so I can't vouch for every word, but I've always loved that beginning. I don't even remember the title.

Share buttons