All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Back to School! #RB4U

Back to School

Hello and thank you for stopping by today to talk with me about Back to School.


If you are a teacher, I'm sorry... You are probably feeling a little under the weather. It seems like the germs have hit many of you. 


If you are a student, you are probably feeling a little tired as well. Getting up early and being "on" all day is a challenge after sleeping in for the last two and a half months. 







If you are a parent, I'm sure you are celebrating. School has begun and you are able to send the children off for a little bit each day, so you can get some work done or enjoy some "me" time. Or you are missing the hours you had with your little ones. 




As someone who has been all of the above (student, parent and teacher), I have to share with you how I feel about this time of year...

Back to school time is a time to reconnect with friends and enjoy time together. This year, I'm guest teaching and have already been in two different schools during the first week. I've met some wonderful students. Two stick out in my mind...

In one classroom, at the end of the day, one student told me that he was sad that he won't see me until October when I'm back in his class. I love that I made a connection with him. He is a Japanese student who moved to the USA for five years and while he speaks Japanese at home, he's speaking English at school. I connected with him because I had a former student who was like him. He appreciated that I "got" his life, that I understood what he was going through and had time to listen to him share about the trip he'd taken back to Japan over the summer. 

The second student was in a different class. After sharing about bucket filling and how we all can make each other feel happy...he hugged me at the end of the day and thanked me for coming in. It made me want to go back to that class again.
Two different classes and two different students but they both gave me a gift. And you can do the same to someone you see today. You can say a kind word, a compliment or even share a smile. Each one of us deserves to have a wonderful back to school, fall, or even September. #fillabucket

Did you have a favorite teacher? Someone you connected with? A classmate you couldn't wait to see again in September? I'd love to hear about it.

And if you are looking for a fun story about a school teacher who finds love in a surprising place... check out Chalkboard Romance.  Chalkboard Romance- Amazon
Until Next Month...
Melissa Keir
www.melissakeir.com

4 comments:

Denysé Bridger said...

The school year comes and goes without much notice for me, Melissa, but your book sounds wonderful! Many sales and much success, as always! 😊

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you Denyse. I do enjoy being around the students now that I am not the full time teacher. :) It allows me time to share my passion with them and still have time for writing!

jbiggar said...

The beginning of school can be stressful for students, parents, and teachers, especially if you have a special needs child. My grandson is type 1 diabetic and as you can imagine, there is a lot of training involved for him to be safe within a school environment. This year, after preparing his teacher through the summer, my daughter found out she quit right before the first day! So now he's influx with the rest of his class until they can hire someone to take her place and he doesn't have a proper crew watching out for him during his activities.
Not a good start!

Melissa Keir said...

I'm so sorry for your grandson. Teachers quitting before the first day (or after the open house) is quite familiar. Many teachers take one job and are courted by others who need them right away as well. I know that having a school sub would be wonderful for your grandchild's school. That way, the sub is someone the teachers all know each year and so do students. This builds some familiarity for them as things often happen. Good luck and sending prayers for your grandson.

Share buttons