All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Monday, August 17, 2015

A Special Diary..

Nope, not mine. I kept a  diary for a while but stopped when I was about twelve. The entries show me as a self-centered little twit, so we won't go there. I luckily found a book in the used book store that has been absorbing me. It's called The Wit and Humor of Oscar Wilde, by Alvin Redman, and give Wilde's quotes at various events in his brilliant and tragic life. He was given hard-labor for over two years at Reading Gaol, and it ruined his health. Essentially he was condemned for being a homosexual, and persecuted by his lover's father. Today he would be allowed to live his own life and been adored by all for his unbelievable intellect.

1.  Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

2.  Starvation, and not sin, is the parent of modern crime.

3.  He hasn't a single redeeming vice.

4.  To get into the best society one has only to feed people, amuse people, or shock people... that is all.

5.  One should never give a woman anything she can't wear in the evening.

6.  She had far too much rouge and not enough clothes last night. That is always a sign of despair in a woman.

7.  Death is not a God. He is only a servant of the gods. 

8.  Life is never fair, and perhaps it is good thing for most of us that it is not.

9.  How hard good women are! How weak bad men are!

10. The only possible excuse for exercise is to talk, not to walk.

 These quote are all taken from random flipping through the pages of the book. Can't imagine anyone not enjoying this little jewel. Thank you for letting me share it with you. Now back to work on my novelette for our upcoming RB4U anthology. It's due soon and my entry is set in the Regency period and called 'Desperate Desires'.  

More next month!!!!!



10 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

This didn't post when I expected it to. sorry, guys, it was ready to post last week. Hope you like it even if it is inadvertently late.

Cara Marsi said...

Love the quotes. Thanks. I can't wait to read your contribution to our anthology.

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks, Cara. I hope others manage to find this post too. Oscar Wilde was so brilliant...

Fran Lee said...

Oscar was a great friend of mine, in an earlier life. Hope the anthology does well.

Tina Donahue said...

I love these quotes, Jean - keep them coming. :)

jean hart stewart said...

I'm glad you share my appreciation of Oscar. I'll doubtless write about him again, Fran.

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks Tina... you're always so supportive.

Charmaine Gordon said...

Beyond wonderful, Jean. I am also a fan of Oscar Wilde. His last name prepares you for the man inside. And where are the Oscar Wilde's today? On television spewing dumb coarse meaningless jokes. So Bravo to you for resurrecting his brilliance.

Melissa Keir said...

Fun post! Love the quotes!!

jean hart stewart said...

Thanks, Melissa...

Share buttons