All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

RT Booklovers Convention: Got Some Shaking Going On

Just came back from Dallas at the RT Booklovers Convention. It was a great 4 days of non-stop parties, panels, book signings, networkings and happy reunions. I did things a little differently, I paced myself. Yes, I really did! I'm the queen of jamming as much into my day as possible, and I actually went to bed early, stayed away from most the parties, and wrote as well as attended the convention. I got some solid word count down. And I'm loving my new story.

Some highlights:

1. Got to meet E.L. James (again, but of course she didn't remember the first time).

2. Met the first editor who "signed" me - a fledgling author only writing for 9 months, and then released me from the contract when I landed an agent some 2 months later from a contest win. She was gracious and kind and I love her. Got to meet her for the first time and she told me she'd followed my success over the years. Wow. A peak moment for me.

3. Got to spend time with my awesome, hunky narrator, J.D. Hart, who dressed the part of a pirate and brought some attention to my signing table. God, how I love this man and his talents, but his friendship and big heart most of all.

4. Got conscripted for another boxed set - but not until 2016! Whew! All military and releasing in time to do a fundraiser for a Vet's non-profit to be determined.

5. Raffled off a patriotic quilt and we raised $323 for the Navy SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce. I think now I have a new yearly job, as I've been asked to do one next year...

6. Fan-girled Sylvia Day and re-connected with some of my author
friends from San Francisco I never see unless I go to a convention!

7. Heard the couple next door having wild monkey sex, which went along with the thunder and lightening that rattled the windows all night long...

8. Met readers I've been online with for years. Some in my Street Team.

9. Learned you can take Sonoma County wine to Dallas, packed in cowboy boots. I brought 4 bottles, and had a little piece of home to warm my heart.

10. Interviewed for a Dallas TV show and some book club venues. Also did a podcast interview with my narrator for a brand new audio blog.

Whew! Long flight home, but I'm charged up and feeling really filled. Now I have work to do. How about you? Have you ever attended RT? Do you enjoy conventions?

Sharon Hamilton
Life is one fool thing after another.
Love is two fool things after each other.

10 comments:

Lynda Bailey said...

Looks like you had an AWESOME time in Dallas! Good for you - and for pacing yourself. I have yet to make it to a RT convention. I've heard they're wickedly fun. Just gotta wait until I hit the lotto... ;)

jean hart stewart said...

Wow, you really had a ball! Good for you, girl!

Molly Daniels said...

Glad you had a wonderful time! I'm also hoping to make it to an RT convention one day, and not just for the signing:)

Paris said...

Sharon,
The most difficult lesson for me was learning to pace myself during the conferences/conventions. There's always so much to see and do and reconnecting with friends you only get to see once or twice a year is very tempting. Glad you had so much fun!

Cara Marsi said...

Sharon, sounds like you had a great time. Wish I were there. I'd love to meet you in person. Great idea about packing wine in cowboy boots. I have a pair of cowboy boots. I may take your suggestion. I hope to someday go to RT. Maybe it if comes closer to the East Coast.

Sharon Hamilton said...

Lynda, it was a great time in Dallas. I stayed away from the wicked stuff, but I think next time I'll venture out a little more...lol. But it was a good pacing this year, and I got the highlights I wanted. Hope you can come some day!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Jean and Molly, hope you guys can come to RT some day, or again. It was fun. And it wasn't too crazy that I went home frazzled. Busy, but not frazzled!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Paris, well said. Yes, sometimes the workshops can be a little depressing. Hard not to have sales envy sometimes too. I'm always having to work on that a bit when I meet a real Superstar. I'm learning!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Cara, Oh I'd love to meet you in person too. Yes, my pirate had his almost to the hip boots with him, and he was able to take home two of the bottles I didn't drink. You never know what works. Always improvising, like my SEALs!

Melissa Keir said...

What a fun time! I would love to go sometime but the amount of people just overwhelm me.

Share buttons