All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Writing Inspired!

I love the idea of having my own writing cottage, a place where I can sit back and read, or just write. I think it's a good thing to separate the working desk from the writer's desk, so the two muses, one with a mindset of an accountant, and the writing muse, who may not be dressed at all and is doing Martha Graham dances nekked.

I can and do write everywhere. Love writing on cruises, in airports, coffee shops and odd places no one else would spend much time in/at/below/above. Am I sick to say the best time about RT last year in Nawlins was the afternoon I spent at a coffe shop in the French Quarter? Yes! Writing in unfamiliar places can be very inspiring.

But I think the best is to write cozy and small. Lots of famous authors have done this. We're in good company with the likes of Mark Twain, Roald Dahl, George Bernard Shaw, Dylan Thomas, Henry David Thoreau and of course, Virginia Woolf.

Sarah Ban Breathnach, in my favorite book of hers, called Moving On,  talks about her journey to England to purchase the cottage where Sir Isaac Newton did his famous writings, and about how she felt the building was "haunted" or rather "inspired" with his muse. Timing played a key role in that she had just published her first successful book, which had stayed on the NYT list for months, and used the proceeds to buy this particular cottage which hadn't been for sale in over 100 years. She began to see her quest to write a bestseller was the prequel to her owning Sir Isaac's cottage.

Sarah also writes this great quote: "Rosemary Sullivan is meditating on the emotion women feel when they fall in love at first sight with men; I'm the one taking the leap to house fever because I've succumbed to both. Suddenly, without warning (or so it seems) the trajectory of a woman's life changes, becoming 'a vicarious route to some essential part of herself that she does not yet fully recognize or understand.' The Beloved becomes 'the heroic territory she longs to occupy.' She thinks she's found him--or home. Interestingly, the name of the greatest lover of all time, Casanova, means new house."

We never know what trails we'll walk down on our path to creating the stories we create. But we can guide it somewhat. I wrote a little piece on my personal blog today about writing cottages, and my own struggles with focus and attention. You can join me over there today as well, if you like. Bring your favorite beverage, book or laptop, and we'll read or write together!

What about you? Do you have a special muse-inspired place you write or read in?

Sharon Hamilton
Life is one fool thing after another.
Love is two fool things after each other.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

One day IM going to have a train carriage. I'd like one like the ones you see in the old western movies

Rose Gorham said...

I can read anywhere. When it comes to my writing, I have to be alone, in my study, hopefully with no interruptions. Sometimes with soft music in the background.

Sharon Hamilton said...

Julie, you'll have that train cottage some day!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Rose, I'm the same way, as long as I have my headphones, I'm good. but a tight, cozy place would be heaven for me.

Melissa Keir said...

I would love to live in a small house. There's something about the cozy nature of it. I usually write in my bed. It's comfy and the dogs cuddle with me. I could go write in my trailer if I wanted but since I'm usually home alone, bed works for me. :)

jean hart stewart said...

Reading is something I do anytime, anywhere..Gotta be on my favorite chair to write, though..

Sharon Hamilton said...

Melissa, I hear you. If I had a trailer, I'd have to spend money to customize it. But it would have a bed for naps, stove for coffee or tea and a refrigerator and killer stereo!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Jean Hart Stewart, I'm with you there. Got my lumbar chair too...

Unknown said...

Live in hope sharon

Sharon Hamilton said...

We all do. Miracles happen to good people.

Share buttons