All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Interview of Barbara Donlon Bradley

Today I'm pleased to present an interview of romance author Barbara Donlon Bradley.

Latest Book: Stolen Desire
Buy Links: http://www.phaze.com/author.php?author=21


http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0072OTZJE

BIO:
Writing for Barbara Donlon Bradley started innocently enough, like most she kept diaries, journals, and wrote an occasional letter but she also had a vivid imagination and wrote scenes and short stories adding characters to her favorite shows and comic books. As time went on she found the passion for writing to be a strong drive for her. Humor is also very strong in her life. No matter how hard she tries to write something deep and dark, it will never happen. That humor bleeds into her writing. Since she can’t beat it she has learned to use it to her advantage. Now she lives in Tidewater Virginia with two cats, one mother in law – whose 87, her husband and son.

Q: How did you celebrate publishing your first book?
A: I started it after I had three books published but I have a charm bracelet that I have been buying hearts for with the title of my cover on one side, and the date of release on the other. With fifteen books now sold I’m going to have to get another bracelet!

Q: What’s your writing schedule like? Do you strive for a certain amount of words each day?
A: I do try to write every day but I don’t strive for a certain number or words or pages anymore. I just sit with my laptop and work. As long as I write a few words, a paragraph or a whole chapter I know I wrote that day.

Q: What is the most important thing you do for your career now, as compared to when you first started writing?
A: I write faster and try to promote more.

Q: Do you eat comfort food/listen to music when writing?
A: LOL, no. I actually sit in front of the TV with my laptop. I write with it blaring. I even have certain shows that I have on for noise as I write.

Q: Covers. Ever get one you wish you could change?
A: No I have loved all my covers, especially the ones of the Vespian Way series.

Q: Give one advice tip to an aspiring author.
A: Don’t give up. Rejection letters are part of the process, but if writing is a passion for you and you have the raw talent keep going. Have faith, keep honing your skill and it will happen.

Q: If you could give a younger version of yourself advice, what would it be?
A: Start writing earlier. I was in my thirties when I started writing to be published. I never thought about it before I joined a local RWA chapter and should have.

Q: What genre would you like to try writing that you haven’t yet tried?
A: I’ve actually written in a lot of them. I have written time travels, SF/futuristic, fantasies, one historical and one contemporary, even tried my hand at humor and YA. I really can’t think of any genre I haven’t tried that I’d be interested in.

Q: Have you ever used an incident from your real life into one of your books?
A: Oh yeah. In one of my fantasy stories I had a klutzy character who did a few things I have done.

Q: Any part of a book that drives you crazy as you write: beginning, middle, or end?
A: The end. It always seems so far away when you’re close to finishing the rough draft.

Fun Stuff:
Q: What is your favorite holiday and why?
A: Halloween – my birthday is the day before.

Q: What are two things people might be surprised to know about you?
A: I’m a third degree black belt in Taekwondo and big fan of the Planet of the Apes franchise – old and new. I have all the movies, the TV series and the animated series. Can you say geek?

Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: There were a few - an actress was one, I also had shown an interest in music production, and art – drawing, painting, sculpting.

Q: Favorite food.
A: What day is it? I’m a bit of a foodie – love sushi, pizza and Philly cheese steaks.

Q: Favorite happy memory.
A: This one I have to think about – when my husband and I proposed to each other? It was a bit unconventional – we had just gotten past our first Christmas together and were in the bar where we met – I had drank a few beers and informed my soon to be husband that my sister thought my present from him was a ring and that he was going to ask me to marry him. It was in a big ass box, light as a feather, with something that banged and clanged inside. She thought he disguised the ring. And he did disguise my gift – it was the Tasmanian Devil with a glass OJ jar containing a marble, a paper clip and a penny. That was what made the noise. He asked me what would I have said if he had asked me. I told him yes and that was how we got engaged. We’ll celebrate our 30th anniversary Jan 26th, 2015 and I still have the Tasmanian Devil!

Q: Favorite drink.
A: Yoohoo for non alcoholic. Beer for alcoholic.

Q: Hot summer days or chilly winter nights?
A: Chilly winter nights – I love to snuggle.

Q: What is the top thing on your bucket list?
A: Wow...Besides win the Lottery? I guess it would be to move closer to my sister. We have such a strong relationship but she lives five hours from where I live so I don’t get to see her that often. Me and the hubby have a five year plan to do that so hopefully I hope to have that one cross off soon.

Q: If you could have a super power, what would it be?
A: Hmmm, flying. I hate traffic and I’d be able to see my family more often I could just fly there!

Tell us where to find you: website(s), publisher’s page(s), blog(s), Facebook page(s), etc. List them all!
Website: http://www.barbaradonlonbradley.com/
Publisher: http://www.phaze.com/author.php?author=21
Blog: http://barbaradonlonbradley.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barbara-Donlon-Bradley/118673448173249
Twitter: https://twitter.com/barbbradley
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/barbaradbradley/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7773192-barbara-bradley
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0072OTZJE
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Barbara-donlon-bradley
ARe
Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/Search?Query=Barbara%20Donlon%20Bradley
Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/search/books?Keywords=barbara%20donlon%20bradley

BLURB:
When Heather is confronted with her time traveling self she fears the worse. The woman came to warn them of a terrible accident but something isn’t right. The visitors her future self says are there to help only wants to kidnap her and kill her mate. Using her mind she tries to protect her friends and family. Yet she wakes up as a prisoner after seeing the ship Storm is in blow up. She is now alone, and trapped. Somehow she has to figure out a way home and hopefully reverse all the horrible things that have taken her family from her.

EXCERPT:
Chapter One

Heather sighed as she opened her eyes and stretched. Before she could move she felt a warm hand on her breast.

“I see you’re awake.” Storm’s breath brushed against her cheek.

She looked up at her mate, who had a knowing smile on his face. “And I see you are awake too.” She was referring to the erection pressed against her hip.

“True, but I can’t help it when I have such a wonderful partner lying beside me.” Storm nibbled against her throat. “We still have time before we need to be anywhere.”

“Why didn’t you wake me earlier?” She smiled as he settled himself between her thighs. “You could have had all the time you want if you had.”

“Because the twins aren’t allowing you to get sleep enough yet. I don’t mind watching you sleep when I know you need it. It gives me time to appreciate having you in my life.” He dipped his head to her mark. “And waking you up this way is an anticipation I look forward to. I don’t mind stretching that out a little.”

“Because you know what will happen when I wake.”

“That is the best part.”

She felt him smile against her neck as he pulled the soft tissue of her mark into his mouth before he worked his way down her body.

“You are incorrigible.”

“And that is why I’m your heart.” His tongue lathed her nipple before drawing the tip into his mouth. She arched up against him and he slipped his hands under her.

A growl escaped him when they were interrupted by the computer system. “Heather, you have a communiqué from Admiral Barrister.”

She sighed again. This time in frustration. What did he want now?

“The last time he contacted us you ended up being whipped.” Storm blew against the tip before he climbed back up her body. “I’m inclined to not let you answer him.”

“Storm, I’m still part of Earth’s security.” She looked up at him, his face only inches above hers. “I can’t ignore him.”

“Fine, but you’re not getting out of this bed until I say so.” He rolled off her and helped her sit up and settle herself against him. “Put him on, Cim.”

“Sir.” She adjusted the cover to make sure she didn’t expose herself.

“Commander, sorry if I interrupted something, but we need to talk, in person.”

“Sir?” What was so important that he wanted them to make a trip to Earth. “You know it’s not that easy for me to step away from my duties here.”

“I know, but I have something to show you that you need to see.” Bear pressed a key and changed the image they were looking at. The new picture was a holding cell. Inside was a woman who looked a whole lot like Heather. “Before you ask I ran DNA tests against the data you gave me. She is you.”

“That isn’t possible.” She suddenly felt cold.

“Tell that to her.” Bear switched the image back to him. “Needless to say this was something I didn’t want Earth security to investigate too deeply so I pretended she was you. I’m on my way to Vespia and will need clearance in about fifteen minutes.”

“We’ll meet you at the landing port.” Storm closed the communiqué and was the first one up. “I don’t like this at all.”

“We need to contact Bert as well. Perhaps he could shed a little light on what is going on.” Heather stood as well. With a thought they were both dressed. Heather stepped into the twins’ bedroom to find them still asleep. She touched their heads softly before she walked back into the main room where Storm waited. “They’re sound asleep.”

“Then let’s go.” He placed his hand against the small of her back as they headed out the doors. “I have given Bear clearance to land and contacted Bert to join us. Your brother has been made aware as well so he’ll be here when the twins wake up.”

“Thank you.” She kept her thoughts to herself.

“You okay?”

“Yes, my heart.” Heather wrapped an arm around his waist and gave him a quick hug. “Just want to know what is going on.”

“So do I, my heart.”

They walked onto the tarmac and waited as Bear’s ship touched down.

Storm looked down at her upturned face as he pulled her close. She knew he picked up on the fact that she was tense and far too quiet. “I know this bothers you. Your silence tells me more than any words. I want to know why there is a woman in Bear’s ship who looks like you, too. Together we will get to the truth.”

“I wish Bear had told us more. Why is she, me here? What happened to force me to travel back in time?”

“My question as well.” They had come to the same conclusion. The woman in question was probably from the future which didn’t bode well. She knew he could smell her fear and wrapped his arms around her in support. “I’m sure he will explain everything he knows and your brother and Bert will explain the rest.”

****

“I don’t know what to tell you,” said Bear. They stood outside the room where Heather’s look-a-like paced the floor. “She came to me, claiming to be you, but from our near future with a message. Then she refused to speak after that.”

“Who is the message for?” asked Storm.

“You.” He looked at Heather. “Look, I tried to get her to talk to me, but she refused. She promised to explain everything once she saw Heather, which is why I brought her here. I didn’t know what else to do.”

“You did the right thing, Bear. I’ll talk to her and see what is going on.”

“I don’t think so.” Storm shook his head. After all they had been through he didn’t trust anyone and that included an exact copy of his mate.

“Then how are we to know why she is here?” Heather looked at him.

“Storm, that woman has been quite adamant about talking to your mate. Heather number two has also promised to go through any tests you might want her to go through as long as you allow her to speak to herself.” Bear shook his head. “It’s all a little strange to me.”

Kuarto walked into the medlab. “Really wish you would stay put when you call me. I went to the landing area as you requested and was told you had come here. This is where I was in the first place.”

“Sorry,” said Heather. “We needed to move indoors rather quickly.”

“What is so important that you…” He spotted the other Heather. “Never mind. I’m assuming you want me to check out your guest?”

“Please?” Heather rubbed her hands on her skirt, her nerves taking control. “We need to get to the bottom of this.”

Kuarto walked into the room where his sister’s look-a-like waited. Heather watched as he ran his tests. Where did this woman come from? Why was she here? He was frowning when he came back out.

“She is you. The DNA proves it, but she is also older than you. About six weeks.” He kept looking at his readings. “I don’t know how this is possible.”

“Thank you.” Heather knew. This version of her had time-traveled. She didn’t like the rock that was forming in the pit of her stomach. Something must have gone terribly wrong for her to come back in time. “Let’s find out what I have to say.”

Storm wrapped his arm around her waist to keep her at his side. “Wait for Bert. If that really is you then you know the consequences of getting too close to yourself.”


Anything else you’d like to add?
Other Books by Barbara Donlon Bradley:
A Portrait in Time – Hard Shell Word Factory
Love on the Run – Hard Shell Word Factory
A Quest for Love –Hard Shell Word Factory
Love is ... – Satin Romance
Star’s Destiny – Phaze
A Question of Trust – Phaze
Honorbound – Phaze
Dominated By Desire – Book 1 in the Vespian Way Series
Passionate Desire – Book 2 in the Vespian Way Series
Animal Desire – Book 3 in the Vespian Way Series
Unwanted Desire – Book 4 in the Vespian Way Series
Hesitant Desire – Book 5 in the Vespian Way Series
Forgotten Desire – Book 6 in the Vespian Way Series
Stolen Desire – Book 7 in the Vespian Way Series

7 comments:

Barbara Donlon Bradley said...

Thanks so much for having me!

Cara Marsi said...

Barbara, I really enjoyed your interview and your excerpt. Since you mention Philly cheesesteaks, and there's only one place to get authentic ones, Philly, I assume you live in that area, as I do. Nice to meet you.

Paris said...

Barbara,
I loved your interview and can sympathize with that dreaded ending in the first draft. Great excerpt!

Rose Anderson said...

I enjoyed your interview and excerpt, Barbara. Best luck and happy holidays. :)

Barbara Donlon Bradley said...

Hi Cara!

I actually live in So east Va now but was a navy brat so have been all over the country. Had friends who lived near Philly for a while and used to go up and visit them quite often.

Barb

Barbara Donlon Bradley said...

thanks so much Paris! The rough draft is one of those things some days I can't write fast enough and others...well it's like pulling teeth isn't it?

Barb:)

Barbara Donlon Bradley said...

thanks Rose - the same to you - I hope everyone has a happy holidays

Barb:)

Share buttons