All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Interview of Author Beverley Bateman

Today I'm pleased to present an interview of author Beverley Bateman.

Latest Book: A Cruise To Remember

Buy Link: http://amzn.to/Tpv1P0

BIO:
I’m Canadian and live in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, BC. where I workout, hike, canoe and spend a lot of time on the computer writing and editing. Its beautiful country and I love it here – in the summer. There are lakes, beaches, orchards of apples, pears, peaches plus raspberries, blueberries and lots of other fresh produce. And of course, it’s wine country. We have world class wines which I feel is my obligation to taste.
We also have mountains and great skiing, both downhill and cross-country in the winter, but I snowbird with my husband, and two Shiba Inu dogs.

Q: What’s your writing schedule like? Do you strive for a certain amount of words each day?
A: That’s a good question I keep asking other authors, hoping for a magic formula - so far no luck. First, I try to make sure I write every day, even 100 words. I set my own deadlines and I figure out how many words a day I need to write to make that deadline. I’m also usually editing a book that’s finished, so I factor in an hour of editing every day.

Q: What is the most important thing you do for your career now, as compared to when you first started writing?
A: I guess I’d have to say marketing. I write and take classes, same as when I started, but now I’m on Facebook, Twitter, Triberr, Goodreads, have a website and a blog. I have to spend a certain amount of time marketing my books. And I have so much more I need to learn about doing it.

Q: Of all your characters, who’s your favorite, and why?
A: I think my favorite is Lillian Abernathy. She’s a secondary character in a Cruise To Remember. She’s an older woman with no children and madly in love with her husband. She helped him build a successful business. He died and now she’s fighting Alzheimer’s. She’s strong, caring, has a sense of humor and is open to life, love and interesting Alzheimer cures.

Q: Do you eat comfort food/listen to music when writing?
A: Oh, yes. I love popcorn. It’s great to snack on while writing and chocolate is always good. I usually have music playing in the background when I write. I write better with noise than silence. Jazz and classical – Mozart and Beethoven work great.

Q: How do you choose names for your characters?
A: That’s always interesting. I use books of names, like 2000 names for your baby; I keep a list of both male and female names that I hear or read and like; I Google for male and female names and sometimes the best names for different categories. I develop my character and then fit a name, or let them tell me if it fits.

Q: Give one advice tip to an aspiring author.
A: Keep writing. I think that’s the one that everyone says. Write every day. And it’s true, whatever you want to do you have to practice every day. Writing is no different, so you have to write every day. Be positive, know why you want to write and write.

Q: What genre would you like to try writing that you haven’t yet tried?
A: Good question - maybe a fantasy/paranormal – but more about magic and mystical creatures. I like that idea of witches and fairies and people with magical powers fighting the evil devil or dragon.

Q: Have you ever used an incident from your real life into one of your books?
A: Yes. It’s in a book that isn’t published yet, Death Southern Style, set in New Orleans. My husband and I were visiting there for a few days before we boarded our ship for a cruise. After a few hours on Bourbon Street we headed back to our hotel a few blocks away. We picked up a couple of the big 60 ounces plastic glasses of beer to take to our room. The lobby was locked at night and we had a key to get into the hotel courtyard and up the outside stairs. I started up the stairs and turned a corner and saw a man holding a gun on my husband, demanding money. His face was at the same level as my hand holding the beer glass so I threw the beer in his face and screamed and ran up the stairs. Luckily, the man ran away.

Q: Out of your entire backlist, which book has the best opening line? What's the line?
A: I think Death Awaits.
A soft popping sound came from inside the room.
Susan fumbled for the key, her hand still grasping the leash, and automatically tried the door with her other hand.

Q: How many stories are swirling around in your head? Do you keep a mental list, a computer file, or a spiral notebook filled with the ideas?
A: Right now I have three. Female, crime reporter; a murder occurs every year on the same date; and a secret, all female organization that rescues or protects women. I keep a computer file of each one and add notes as I think of them I also had a notebook by my bed because sometimes, first thing in the morning I have thoughts about the story or the character and I write it down so I don’t forget it and then later add it to my computer notes.


Fun Stuff:
Q: What is your favorite holiday and why?
A: Christmas, because everyone feels happy and there is a spirit of generosity. I absolutely love Christmas music, the decorations, the food and connecting with family and friends.

Q: What are two things people might be surprised to know about you?
A: I spent a week in the Amazon, in a tree house, fished for piranha and traveled around the area – the same area where was filmed.
I do watercolor painting in my spare time.

Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: A nurse and I became one. I wrote all the time, but never thought of it as a career.

Q: Favorite food.
A: Chocolate – what can I say?

Q: Favorite happy memory.
A: A dinner with my husband on a beach in Jamaica, only a few feet away from the waves; a steel band playing in the background and a moon reflected in the ocean.

Q: Favorite drink.
A: Okanagan apple cider.

Q: Hot summer days or chilly winter nights?
A: No hesitation there- hot summer nights.

Q: What is the top thing on your bucket list?
A: That’s difficult, but number one is to take an African safari.

Q: If you could have a super power, what would it be?
A: I think I’d like to be able to read people’s minds – so I could look at someone and now what they were thinking – good, bad and ugly. It would help to understand characters and make their thoughts and motivation more realistic.

Tell us where to find you:
website(s): http://www.beverleybateman.com
blog(s): http://beverleybateman.blogspot.ca
Facebook page(s): https://www.facebook.com/beverley.bateman.18
Twitter:@kelownawriter
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/okwriter/interest
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7052567.Beverley_Bateman

BLURB:
Amnesia, a cruise ship, a jewel theft ring and attempted murder combine to make it a cruise to remember. Hallie Donald has been in an accident and has amnesia. She’s traveling on the cruise as a companion. And someone is trying to kill her.

She doesn’t remember anything. Interpol agent Eric Norby searches for jewel thieves on a Caribbean cruise, but his main suspect is the woman he loves.

EXCERPT:
She stared down into the Austrian crystal champagne glass in her hand. She salivated at the mere thought of taking a drink. Swirling the glass gently she watched the golden liquid climb to the gold rim then rivulet down the sides.

I don’t need it. I’m not an alcoholic.

Maybe not, but I sure as hell want it.

She tossed the contents into a nearby plastic palm tree container and deposited the glass on a table she passed.

She was working.

“Darling, I missed you. Where did you disappear to?”

A tall, dark-haired man in a navy blazer, with a family crest on the pocket, emerged from the mass of bodies and sailed up to her. He glanced admiringly at her dress, and then he slipped his arm across her bare back and slid it down until it encircled her waist.

“I brought you a drink.”

“Sorry David, I needed a breath of fresh air.” She curled her fingers around the stem of the crystal champagne glass he offered her. “Thank you. It’s a great party, but I need to leave you again, for a minute. I have to make a phone call.”

She slipped out of his proprietary hold. Her lips touched the edge of the glass and she fluttered her eyelashes. She peered up through the dark fringe, meeting his adoring look.

“But I just found you. You know, I don’t think you’re really into this party. Is there something wrong? I can get you something if it would help?” A touch of petulance tinged David’s voice. His lower lip slid slightly forward as he placed his hands on her shoulders, and gazed into her eyes.

She knew exactly what he was offering. He’d been one of her main drug links in the past.

“No thanks, David, not tonight. I’m a little tired. I am enjoying the party. Mitzi always throws wonderful extravaganzas. It’s only one call. I won’t be more than a few minutes.”

“Can’t you call whoever later?”

“Now, David, don’t pout. I said I wouldn’t be long.” She pasted a smile on her lips. Her mother would be proud of her.

“I’ll be right back, and we can dance the rest of the night away, like old times.” She pursed her lips together in a pout and walked her fingers slowly up the front of his tailored blue blazer. Her eyes locked in his until she reached the lapel and then she removed his hands from her shoulders.

“You promise?” His lower lip protruded slightly more.

She touched his cheek; the silver ring on her finger sparkled and caught the light from a chandelier.

“Of course, I promise. Now, David, you have to let me go. And remember, the next dance is mine. See if you can get them to play something slow and romantic. I’ll be right back.”

Her mother had taught her well. She hadn’t appreciated it until now.

“Hurry back. It’s lonely without you.” He grasped her hand from his cheek, kissing her fingertips. “By the way, are you on for the trip tomorrow? We could leave from my place in the morning.”

“What trip?” She withdrew her fingers.

“You don’t know? Some of the gang is flying to Paris for a few days, to do some shopping and take in the Lido. You know--just for fun. Julie’s dad said we could use his private plane. Come with us.”

“Oh, David, I don’t think so. I... I’ve got things I need to do.”

“That can always wait, Paris can’t. Come on, you’ve never hesitated before.”

“True, but it’s short notice. I’ll think about it.” The smile on her face was beginning to hurt. All she wanted to do right now was to escape from this damn party.

“If you change your mind, we’re meeting out at the airport tomorrow around noon. If you don’t leave from my place, pack a bag and meet us there. Paris is always great fun. Remember?”

“I remember. We’ll see.” She slinked across the marble dance floor toward the library. Her hips undulated in time with the beat of the music.

Her eyes scanned the room, noting the objects d’art in the cabinets on the small tables placed subtly around the room. They looked like things a thief might want to steal. And then there were the original paintings that hung on the walls. It wasn’t up to her to offer advice to a thief, but he was missing a lot of great stuff. Her job was to make sure he wasn’t hiding in the library, stealing the family jewels.

Fingers circled the brass doorknob. She glanced back over her shoulder, her eyes squinting into the dimly lit atmosphere, searching for anything out of the normal.

Dense clouds of smoke hung across the room, accompanied by a strong, pungent odor. The clouds thickened over the areas where the lavishly dressed young people lounged in small clusters alongside the dance floor. Wispy strands of the smoke sneaked out from the dense mass, stretching their fingers to the far corners of the room, leaving no one free from at least a breath or two of the cloying cloud. Underneath the fog the group chattered--smoking and laughing loudly--perhaps louder than necessary.

Were they really enjoying themselves and their lives?

She shrugged. It was their life--not hers any longer.

No sign of any criminal activity here. Gino must have his information wrong. She’d give him a quick call and let him know nothing was going down tonight. Then she’d get out of here.

A warm bath filled with her favorite bubble bath and maybe Mozart playing in the background sounded pretty inviting right about now.

What made me think I could be a private investigator? My father was a successful businessman. I’d hoped to follow in his footsteps and become a successful businesswoman. Right now I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to do with the rest of my life. But thanks to Gino at least I have one more chance. I have no intention of blowing it.

The latest dance band blasted forth from the four expensive speakers located strategically around the room. Pictures rocked on the walls, shifting positions as the music vibrated back and forth. Small pieces of china appeared to move, snail like, as the music assaulted them.

Voices rose and fell, punctuated by the occasional burst of raucous laughter--another weekend gathering of the young and the wealthy in the Florida beach area.

She wasn’t the same person who had partied with these people a few months ago. Finally, she was working on becoming the person she wanted to be--once she figured out who that person was. This was the first big step.

She turned the doorknob. After she called Gino, she’d escape and head home.

Champagne glass in one hand, she fumbled for the light switch with her other one. Light flooded the room. She glanced around. A sickly scent reached her nostrils.

Her glass crashed to the floor, shattering into millions of pieces.

She opened her mouth to scream.

“Damn,” he growled as he slithered silently across the room, covering the distance between them in two smooth strides.

She froze, unable to make a sound.

Their eyes locked. She found herself staring into a pair of dark, hostile eyes.

Kicking the door shut, he covered her open, voiceless mouth with a gloved hand.

She stared, mesmerized. There was pain.

Then everything faded to black.

5 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

I absolutely love it when an author is generous enough to give an excerpt giving a true flavor of the book. This one sounds terrific!

Cara Marsi said...

Beverly, really enjoyed your interview. I've always wanted to visit BC. I hear it's so beautiful. How cool is it that you spent time in the Amazon, in a tree house, no less. Your book sounds great. Best of luck to you.

Rose Anderson said...

I enjoyed the interview and excerpt, Beverly. The book sounds great. Thanks for joining us today. best luck.

Melissa Keir said...

It's wonderful to read and learn more about you Beverly. :) You have done some wonderful adventures.

darkwriter said...

Sorry I'm late with my response to your comments. I was flying to San Antonio for a conference. Thank you everyone for your great comments about BC and my book. I really appreciate it.

Share buttons