All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Month of Love

 
Want to remind everyone about our VALENTINE'S DAY CONTEST on our "Romance Books R Us" website: http://www.romancebooksrus.com Prizes: $75 Gift Card to Amazon or Barnes & Noble and some RBRU stuff! Go to the website for details!


Happy Groundhog Day! Yep, it’s that day again when we all look to that rodent in the ground to come out of his burrow and check to see if he sees his shadow, or not. The folklore, as celebrated in the United States and Canada, is if the skies are overcast when the famous Punxsutawney Phil emerges from his burrow on this day, February 2nd, it will leave his burrow and signifies winter-like weather will soon end. If the clouds are gone and the sun is out, Phil will supposedly see his shadow and retreat back into the ground, and we’ll have six more weeks of winter.

Or so says the popular tradition.

But, I’ve never been one to believe in the prediction since I heard the tale when I was a young child. Six weeks is six weeks. Unless you live in the South and the temperatures are temperate for winter, then six weeks is a nice reprieve from the heat.

February to me is more than worrying about a little rodent seeing his shadow or not. The second month of the year is the month of Love, and other significant events. One of which is Leap Year. Every four years, there is an extra day added to the month, making the year longer because our modern Gregorian Calendar has to “catch up” to the Earth’s rotation. Leap Years were first introduced over 2000 years ago when there was a transition from the Roman Calendar to the Julian Calendar in 45 B.C.E. Then, we switched again to the Gregorian.

The folklore is fun. Does everyone know about “Sadie Hawkins Day” made famous by ‘Lil Abner? The day allows women to propose to men and not the other way around every four years. Of course, now that’s a tradition that isn’t necessary to happen only every four years. Women are independent enough to ask anytime.

Bad luck is also attributed to the 29th of February. In Scotland, it used to be considered unlucky for someone to be born on Leap Day, just like Friday 13th is considered an unlucky day by many. In Greece it’s said to be unlucky for couples to marry during a Leap Year, and especially on Leap Day.

February is also the month of the Super Bowl, which is this Sunday for anyone who hasn’t heard. Now, this is a relatively new celebration for the month. I remember many years ago, Super Bowl Sunday happened in January, but with the addition of more teams, that event has been pushed into February.

How about racing fans? There’s the Indy 500 and Daytona 500. Or dog lovers? The Westminster Dog Show happens this month too. For three nights, you can watch the best of the best pedigreed dogs flaunt their stuff before millions. Watching is a tradition with my daughter and I. We love the pups.
The official government holiday—the third Monday in February is Washington’s Birthday, but some call the day Presidents’ Day because Lincoln is celebrated as well because he was born in February.

Or how about the Motion Picture Academy Awards, or Oscars as they are fondly called, on February 26 at 8 pm EST on ABC? (A shameless plug for them, sorry.) I didn’t go see one movie last year and have no idea what to expect. If I were to tell the truth, I only watch the pre-show to watch the Hollywood types get another night out to sashay on the Red Carpet in their beautiful designer dresses and drool over the hunky men.

For me, February is all about the month of love! How could I forget Valentine’s Day? All of us romance authors and readers wouldn’t do what we do if we didn’t believe in love, right? For me the day has more special meaning, actually the 15th because that is the day my husband and I celebrate our first date. Remembering that day probably has more meaning sometimes than our actually wedding anniversary. That was the day that started our love affair of thirty plus years.

Maybe that’s why I write romance and this month I have three, count them three, releases centering around Valentine’s Day. I guess I’m not only a glutton for punishment, but a real romantic at heart.

I hope everyone has a wonderful heart-loving month.

Cynthia Arsuaga
Erotic Romance Author
http://noboundariespublishing.com
Photos: total wallpapers.com, hog heaven.com, oscars.org/poster

8 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Love the cover of your book A Vampire in Paris. It's beautiful and oh-so sexy. :)

Liz said...

Love month=the Super Bowl for this gal! Go Tom Brady and whatever team you are on (I know but for this post I'll pretend I don't 'cause I wish were a different one!)
fun post!
thanks

Cynthia Arsuaga said...

Oh thank you Tina. Can't wait for this release. The cover is sexy. Love it. Liz, I'm not up on football this year, but I'm sure we'll be watching in this household. :)

Molly Daniels said...

My youngling came very close to being born on Feb 29th, so now I always know when to expect it! And he was horrified yesterday when I teased him about nearly being born on that day: "You'd only be turning two this year, instead of eight!"

"It's a good thing you waited to have me..."

"It wasn't up to me; you took your sweet time." (LOL!)

Love watching the Oscars; love Valentine's Day and getting our tax refund! Not a huge Daytona fan.

And since the Super Bowl in just two hours north of us this year, I'm slightly regretting my decision to stay home and not go see the Village. Go Eli Manning and the Giants! And hope the Colts make the right decision about Peyton!

jean hart stewart said...

Great column,Cynthia. Particularly interesting to me since I was born in February and have always considered it my own special month. Thanks for all the interesting facts.

Cara Marsi said...

Congratulations on the three releases. I didn't know all the good stuff that goes on in February. To me it's the month with really crappy weather. Your attitude is much better than mine. We used to have Sadie Hawkins dances when I was in HS. It was the only time girls could ask guys out. You know how long ago that was.

Adele Dubois said...

Groundhog Day is a bigger deal in Pennsylvania than in other states. It's the home of Puxatawney Phil, the animal who put the groundhog in Groundhog Day.

Big congrats on your release! I wish you many sales.

Best--Adele

Cynthia Arsuaga said...

There were a few more tidbits I could have shared, but didn't want to bore everyone! :) Hope everyone has a wonderful month!

Share buttons