All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tribute To Fathers

Happy Father's Day!

In romance books, we authors tend to overlook the role of fatherhood, or in my case, give them the short end of the stick. In my first book Love is Sober (soon to be retitled Love On The Rocks), I was having an issue with a female neighbor and channeled my anger at her by creating a very dominating father....' When my dad read the book, he jokingly said to me, "Let's talk about this control-freak you created in Con Keller..." I was quick to reassure him he had NOT been the role model for the character!

In Love Finds A Way, the father is not thrilled with his daughter's choice of boyfriend. But when she shows her maturity and proves her plan will work, he is (reluctantly) supportive. And in my upcoming Forbidden Love, I have three fathers depicted: Mike, Keri's father, is thrilled to have a daughter following in his footsteps; Eric, Keri's step-father, who has a very good relationship with both step-children and is loving and supportive of their career choices; and Kyle, the love of Keri's life, who spends as much time with his young son as his vindictive ex-wife will let him.

As far as Kenzie's stories go, fathers are also depicted across the spectrum. In All She Ever Wanted, Clint Denton is Victor Newman personified. He schemes and manipulates his only son in order to run his life.

In Wild At Heart, I have the kind and loving Dad in both Neil Nichols and Gavin Granger. They keep an eye on Ethan and Emma, but only interfere when necessary.

And in my ever-upcoming Teacher's Pet, Tammy's deceased husband was not-so-nice, but thankfully Kevin Tayler proves to be step-father material.


As a tribute to the loving and caring fathers out there, here's my favorite scene from Wild At Heart, in which Gavin, who treats Emma like a daughter, invites the entire Nichols clan into his home. I hope you find this as humorous as I do:)

Blurb:
Feb- Decided to change my pen name on these so my younger audience wouldn't be shocked by any inapropriate language/situations. My new Pen Name is Kenzie Daniels. Both Wild at Heart and Head of the Class are geared more toward the 18+ age group.
Angela Clayborn has just discovered Steve Blumenthal, the man she sent to prison nearly two years before, has been granted an early release. Torn between wanting to see him and fearful if she does, sparks fly when Steve Blumenthal appears in her gift shop and later at her condo. Will Angie free her heart from its icy prison? Has Steve really turned his life around, or is it a hoax?
Meanwhile, in Colorado on business, Angie’s current boyfriend, Brad Morrison, is wrestling with his own call of the wild. He’s met unconventional, sexy Emma Nichols, who runs not only her own riding stable, but helps out with her family’s woodworking store in EstesPark. Emma resents Brad’s offer to help during a family crisis, but eventually discovers that Fate sometimes sends people down unexpected paths to love. Can Brad tame a wildcat? Or will Emma settle for the safe path?

Buy link:
https://www.xoxopublishing.com/shop-online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=107

Excerpt:

"The rain’s here, and Ethan called. He’s going to be slightly late, but he’ll be here.”


“That’s good.” Gavin munched on celery stick. “Your mother brought rabbit food with her.”


“It’s good for you,” Janet Nichols retorted from the kitchen. “You said so yourself you’d had steak two days in a row. And probably not many vegetables.”


“I ate plenty at the ranch the other night,” Gavin grumbled. “Meddling women. Give me good Buffalo wings or fried onions? No…they’ve got to force me to eat this shit. That’s why I stay single. Remember that, Brad.”


“I didn’t observe Emma forcing any healthy food down your throat,” Brad joined him at the table, greeting Emma’s parents.


“She’s young enough to know better than to pull that on me.”


Emma joined her mother in the kitchen. “When you have your heart attack, I’ll be right there by your side, making you eat right…or I’ll have Nora do it.”


“I’m too ornery to have a heart attack.” Gavin stood up as Nora entered, carrying several pie containers. “Now there’s a sensible woman. Brings me pie.” He reached for the containers and got his hand slapped.


“They’re for after dinner,” she scolded, and joined Janet in the kitchen. “It’s starting to really pour out there. I hope Ethan and Lori make it.”


“Lori?” Neil raised his eyebrows.


“The therapist,” Gavin returned to the table. “I told her to come around four-thirty.”


“Good idea. Eat first, alienate Ethan second,” Emma said, helping herself to a beer and offering one to Brad. She joined the men at the table and munched on a carrot. “Need any help, Mom?”


“Now honey, I’ve told you. Stay out of my kitchen, and I’ll stay out of your stable,” Nora admonished.


Brad laughed. “I take it you don’t cook?”


“I can too…I do a very good microwave,” Emma said, reddening. “And I can make a few things.”


Neil coughed. “I don’t think hot dogs count as cooking, sweetheart.”


“I can also make a good meatloaf.”


“She and Hamburger Helper are good friends, Brad,” Nora winked at him.


“Ooh! I get no respect in this house!”


Gavin patted her hand. “Stick with me, kid. I like your meatloaf.”


“At least someone appreciates me.” Emma glared at Nora.


“She does a mean take-out, also,” Gavin added.


“Okay, ha ha. I get it,” Emma grabbed her beer and stormed over to the fireplace. “It’s pick on Emma day.”


“No, honey, it’s called warning the boyfriend that you can’t cook,” Gavin laughed. “See Brad? She and Nora are a package deal.”

Like what you're reading? Buy it at

Or on Kindle:







5 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

To have a wonderful father - an involved father - is such a gift. To all the guys out there who love their children and their childrens' mother - hats off to you! :)

Sandy said...

A wonderful tribute to fathers.

Your excerpt was cute.

jean hart stewart said...

Cute excerpt... HOpe to see more...Jean

Molly Daniels said...

I was blessed with a loving one who worked at Frito-Lay. We enjoyed visiting his office and getting our chips half-price:)

And when he worked for the city, we were thrilled the Mayor knew his name and ours:)

Dad is still very much alive and enjoying having his first grandson attending Purdue and getting to see him once a week.

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks Sandy and Jean!

Share buttons