All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, October 8, 2010

Interview of Author Rebecca L. Gillan

Today I'm pleased to present an interview of romance author Rebecca L. Gillan.

Latest Book: The Hawk’s Bride
Buy Link: http://www.bookstrand.com/the-hawks-bride

BIO:
I first became interested in the paranormal at age four, when my dad let me watch Salem's Lot. For several years after, my mission in life was to catch a vampire and keep it as a pet. My older sister, who had the joy of sharing a room with me, did not enjoy me trying to use her for bait, though.

Now, thirty years later, I write fantasy romance. My taste, however has gone from keeping vampires in bird cages to elves, shape shifters and the tales of ancient Briton, Whales, Ireland and Scotland. If you have ever read the Mabinogian or the Book of the Kells, you will recognize many of my characters.

Q: What’s the first thing you did when you received word you’d sold a book?
A: I immediately shut down my internet browser, then opened it back up and logged back in to see if the editor’s e-mail was going to vanish.

Q: What part of the book is the hardest for you? Why?
A: Love scenes are the hardest for me to write. I’m constantly wondering if maybe this scene is too raunchy or too sweet or two alternative or too much like the last scene I wrote. Add to that the who “to swear or not to swear” conundrum make them very tricky for me.

Q: Do you eat comfort food when writing? If so, what food inspires your imagination?
A: I do eat comfort food when I write. The food depends on the story, though. For some odd reason, when I write about the Wild Lords, I crave apples. I mean really, really crave apples! I actually ended up making that a mannerism of the hunt lords. When they are agitated, they eat apples, too.

Q: What’s your strongest point as a writer?
A: My strongest point as a writer is my ability to keep track of story lines in my head. I can flip-flop between them like most people change channels with a remote. On the one hand, it does take a bit longer to completely finish a story, but on the other hand, I never get writer’s block.

Q: What genre would you like to try writing in but haven’t yet done so? Why?
A: I would love to do a regency romance. That genre is like the gold standard for me. I haven’t actually tried it because my one attempt a highlander romance, which is similar in many ways, ended out as a really unusual blend of steam punk chick meets wild highland laird. I’m just a bit afraid of what I might come up with if I try to write a regency.

Q: Facebook, MySpace, Blogs, Chats, or Twitter. Which do you like best and why?
A: I like blogs the best, though I’m on FB quite a bit. Blogs let me get out what I’m thinking and get feed-back from others in the comments section. Facebook is my next favorite. It’s like MySpace and Twitter all rolling into one, except Twitter only lets you have 140 characters and FB gives you about 400, I think. I must confess, I don’t do chats. Everyone starts “talking” over each other and if you aren’t careful, someone’s feelings are going to get hurt and then you have a flame war on your hands. Not my idea of a fun time.

Tell us where to find you: website(s), publisher’s page(s), blog(s), Facebook page(s), etc. List them all!
My page: http://rebeccalgillan.com
My Publisher: http://www.bookstrand.com
I post every Wednesday at http://shapeshifterseductions.blogspot.com
My author page at FB: http://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/Rebecca-L-Gillan-Author/133163163371571?ref=sgm

Back Cover BLURB:
Banished as a child, Lucan Hawk has grown to be a bitter warlord with a bad reputation. Now someone is killing the king's heirs. King Patton wants him named heir, assuming a shifter lord trained by black elves will be a harder target for an assassin. But Luc can't forgive his uncle for allowing the banishment ten years ago. Then he's offered a boon he can't refuse--the right to marry the only woman he ever loved!

EXCERPT:
Caitriona, a human-born cat shifter, was orphaned as a young child and brought to Aintoch to be raised by the captain of the guard. Feisty and beautiful, Cait was Luc's childhood best friend and teen sweetheart. Though she knew she could never marry her elfin lover, she never forgot him. The night Luc comes for her, she thinks she's dreaming. But the dream turns to a nightmare when the assassin targets her!

“Something amuses you, lass,” a warm, honey voice whispered into her ear, sending chills of another sort down her spine. Cait closed her eyes and inhaled his scent deeply, vaguely recognizing it. Odd, she thought. She only knew one shifter lord well enough to recognize his scent, though she hadn't seen him in years. She didn't remember him talking like a human.

She heard him inhale her scent as he buried his face in her neck, and felt his tongue licking her tender skin. Liquid heat seared her skin, starting at the spot he’d licked and running straight for her core. He breathed deeply again, inhaling the pheromones her body had released with her desire. Cait was vaguely aware that her arousal was not normal, but couldn’t bring herself to care.

She felt the elf lick her again. Another shot of heat sizzled her skin. He groaned and latched onto her neck with a deep, sucking kiss. Falling to her knees, Cait felt the hand that had been clamped around her belly loosen into a soft caress, and felt the one around her shoulders drop and fondle a breast.

“Let me hae ye.” The desire in his voice thickened the brogue she’d only slightly detected before. Cait whimpered. This had to be a dream. One's dinner didn't usually turn into a seductive stranger wanting a mate!

“Please, little kitten,” the voice whispered softly in her ear. He licked the lobe of her ear before purring, “Please let me hae ye.” Then, he gently bit down. Cait splintered apart. She felt his growl of satisfaction more than heard it. The elf lowered her to the ground. She sprawled on a mossy bit of earth on her belly and rolled over to see him hastily stripping off his clothes. Her breath caught in her throat. He was tall with long, curly, golden hair, a couple of locks at his temples in thin braids that dangled halfway down his chest. He had a very well-defined chest, ripped without being bulky. On second thought, Cait figured this elf's seduction might be more enjoyable than snacking on a slimy, raw bird.

The dream buck, sensing Cait's cautious willingness to be seduced, placed his knee boots beside his discarded tunic, dropping to his knees in front of her. He grabbed her legs and parted them on either side of him, pulling her in close. Cait felt her breath catch in her chest at the sight of his sex straining the top of his unfastened pants.

He noticed where she was gazing and smiled wickedly. He pulled his sex out and began stroking it, groaning softly at the top of each up stroke. Cait watched raptly, breathing fast and shallow at the sight of this divine male pleasuring himself for her.

She was so wrapped up in watching him that she didn’t notice his other hand smoothing the skin of her inner thigh until a large, calloused finger nudged gently at the folds of her mound. She shuddered violently as that finger burrowed between the folds to find her swollen nub, the nail lightly scraping as he flicked his finger over it in time with the hand pumping for his own pleasure. Cait’s hips started to rock in time with the primal rhythm he was creating.

The elf changed the finger to his thumb, rubbing more firmly now, and slipped the rest of his hand under her butt, urging her to lift up onto her heels, to raise her woman’s core up to where he could reach it better. He scooted closer, sliding his knees under her thighs, holding her hips high, and then placed his sex against her folds, not entering her. Instead, he used the hand that he'd been stroking himself with, firmly pressing it into her dampness.

Cait felt the head slipping over her nub, slick from her own juices. She felt the elf penetrate her with the thumb that had been stroking her nub, plunging it into her counter to his thrusting hips.

“Please!” she whimpered. “More! I need more!

Anything else you’d like to add?
I am running a give-a-way right now. On September 1, I gave away a 4 gig USB bracelet flash drive to one lucky winner who entered the contest from the contest form on my website. I am seriously thinking about extending this to give away one the first of every month until all the flash drives I bought are gone.

7 comments:

Cornelia Amiri said...

This book sounds fantastic. I love the premise and the cat shifter heroine.

Paris said...

Wonderful interview and great excerpt!

Tina Donahue said...

Very nice cover, Rebecca - and your story sounds fantastic!

Linda Kage said...

Hi, Rebecca, nice to meet you. Your bio made me laugh (your poor sister).

Great interview. Now you've made me hungry for apples though.

Sandy said...

LOL I would like to know how you used your sister for bait? Grin. I did a lot of things to my sister but not that one. Smile.

It sounds like a great story.

Rebecca Gillan said...

It's great to here from you all! The next novella in the series, EQUAL
PARTNERS, is due out this January. The timing is just right since it's about an elf lord trying to hunt for a fugitive in Louisiana and gets sucked in to the local Marti Gras celebration by an intriguing Creole with an apatite of elf!

Linda- don't be too quick to defend my sister. She got me stuck in a toilette once. ;)

jean hart stewart said...

Sounds great...both the interview and the post.....Jean

Share buttons