All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Research Trip by Janice Seagraves


I had been writing so many stories about a desert or desert worlds that I thought it was time to refresh my memory. I hadn't been to the desert since I was in the sixth grade.

So hubby and I packed our bags and headed out to the Mohave desert.

We stayed in Palmdale, in a good central location, and took day trips out to see the desert. I also took tons of photos. Here are a few.

We saw a lot of Joshua trees.
 At the Prime Desert Woodland Preserve, we saw a warbling Desert Wren
 Lots of Spotted Lizards. This one is taking a nap on the Joshua tree blooms. 
The funny thing was I didn't know Joshua trees bloomed.
 Lots of bunnies
 And did I mention lizards?
 We also went to the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve, but no poppies.
On the way back, we stumbled across a antique store that reminded me and my husband of the old Sanford and Son show. We spend a delightful hour exploring there.
And we spend one day at the Santa Monica Pier which is a two hour drive from Palmdale. The direction we had said it was an hour and a half drive but it lied. The traffic in L.A. is terrible.
A nice Russian girl took our photo at the Marisol restaurant, located at the very end of the Santa Monica pier, and she made us this card. 
 
We had a great time. 
Wish you were here.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
WindsweptShores2_432
Blurb: Megan and Seth are finally rescued off their little island, but things are far from idyllic as they’re treated to one nasty surprise after another, which puts all plans of a wonderful future in jeopardy.
Will they ever get back together again or see the life they envisioned?

Except:
“Megz, I thought you were going home?” Seth chided as she took the seat across from him at the old beat up wooden table.
“I have a flight in two hours. Time enough to see you before I leave.” She blinked back tears.
This is so unfair. This can’t be the last time I see him.
Megan folded her hands on the table. “We already checked out of the hotel, but I brought your luggage. The commissioner gave me the okay, so now you have a change of clothes for when you go in front of the judge. I also bought you a few necessities. Since soap and such are not provided, I was told it’s customary for family members to buy those items for the inmates.” She sat a white plastic bag on the table. “These have already been cleared for your use.”
He eyed the bag. “Did your boys pay for it?”
This is the last thing I can do for him, and he doesn’t want it? “Don’t you argue with me, Seth Dawson. You need these.” She fisted her hands. “I also put some money into an account here at the jail for anything else you might need.”
“Ta fer that, love. I’ll pay your sons back somehow.” Seth took one of her hands and uncurled her fingers. “I did want to see you one last time. I didn’t reckon with us parting this way. You to yer rotten bloke, and me here on charges.” He smiled. “Cuddling up on one of your siblings’ sofas sounded nice.”
“Crowded maybe, but we would’ve been together.”
“I heard you made a statement.”
“I did.” She sighed and looked down. I’m not sure what good it’ll do, Seth.
“Thanks for trying, love,” Seth murmured. “I don’t reckon on it being much since you didn’t know Bill before he died.”
“The commissioner said most of my statement is hearsay.” She shrugged. “The only thing I could really tell them was: Bill was dead when we found him and looked the same as the other drowning victims. Also, you never said a bad word about him and showed genuine grief at seeing his body.”
“Not much to go by.” Seth rubbed his thumb across her knuckles.
The slight touch sent a tingle through her, and she wanted to throw herself across the table at him. “The commissioner said he was going to contact the harbormaster where the Dinki-Di had been birthed to see if you two had gotten into any fights.”
“We didn’t.” Seth shook his head. “We got along.”
“Maybe he’ll make a statement too.”
“Gawd, I hope so,” Seth said. “I don’t have enough character references, being from out of town.”
“No, just me.” She tried to smile.
“And old Bill who’s gone.” He lifted her hand to kiss her fingers.
“Times up,” said a guard.
Megan stood and stared at Seth wanting to remember him. Not like this in the black and white jail clothes, but the way he was on the island, happily rumpled in his threadbare outfits.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buy Link: Amazon USA
Buy Link: Amazon UK



9 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Beautiful area. Used to live in Spring Valley Lake (Victorville area) and drove to Palmdale all the time. Love the high desert. :)

Judy Baker said...

I love the desert. I just spent the weekend on my sister-in-law's ranch in Nevada. She has a 3000 acre ranch - all desert and beautiful. Enjoyed your pictures, Janice.

jean hart stewart said...

Here I live near the desert and never knew Joshua trees bloomed! Great excerpt, thanks...

Paris said...

I've always been fascinated by the desert but I've never been. Loved the photographs! Great excerpt, thanks for sharing :)

Cara Marsi said...

Great pictures. I love the Southwest desert. My husband and I visit there a lot since our son lives in Nevada.

Melissa Keir said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I'm glad you got to get away and enjoy some time with your hubby!

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Tina, It is a lovely area.

Hi Judy, It must have been lovely.

Hi Jean, It was a surprise to me too. :) Thank you.

Hi Paris, You should go at least once.

Hi Cara, Ah, that is wonderful.

Hi Melissa, It was. Yep, it nice to get requited with hubby. I'm already thinking of the next trip. :)

Janice~

joye said...

Enjoyed reading your comments and photos. If you want a real desert experience, you need to venture further out and come to Arizona where I live. The desert now is blooming with wildflowers and birds singing. Note-come before it gets really hot in July and August.
jwisley(at)aol(dot)com

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Joye, That why we went when we did. I didn't want to get caught in the desert heat.

Janice~

Share buttons