All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Monday, May 20, 2013

Guest Blog: Melissa Keir: Mothers and Sons

With Mother’s Day happening this month, I decided to share about why I feel parent/child relationships are important and why I include them in my books.

Just as fathers and daughters have a special bond, so do mothers and sons. I’m fortunate to have one of each. My daughter is a lot like me, driven and a type-A personality. She knows what she wants and goes after it fill throttle. I’m very proud of her dedication and hard work. We are close and good friends, but it is the relationship with my son which always amazes me.

My son is very different than my daughter but I’m just as proud of him. He plans his life around a balance of work and play. He is more laid back on the surface but worries a great deal about other people and how he impacts them. At eighteen he started his own IRA in order to make sure that he was ready for retirement. Mind you, he had only had one job so far at a local retail store. Each day he calls me when he is on his way home from work or college so that I don’t worry and shares his thoughts about his day. He constantly makes sure that I’m okay financially, emotionally, and physically. It is those feelings that we each have to take care of each other that makes our relationship truly exceptional.

Because of my relationship with my son, I incorporated two little boys for the the main character of Second Time’s the Charm and the sequel, Three’s a Crowd. Lissa would do anything for those boys. One of my favorite scene in the story is the one where Lissa is getting ready for her best friend, Chloe’s son’s birthday party. The goofy accident that happens is exactly what could have happened in my own house. While the nose accident is completely made up, all too often for my taste, my son had quite a few accidents over the years. Each time, I ended up seeing a unique strength in my son.

When my son was younger we used to spend a couple of minutes before bedtime, laying in his bed and talking about his fears, feelings, and dreams. That time was the most precious time for me. It helped established the close relationship we have. My children are a huge part of my life and made me who I am. It’s that connection that I hope to convey in my stories. After all, being a parent is a lifetime job and one I’m very proud of.

BLURB:
For Lissa, the second time at love was a charm but in marriage, three’s a crowd.

Single mother Lissa Vincent found her soul mate in her best friend’s ex-husband. Alex Hunter couldn’t believe his fortune when his ex-wife told him her best friend was available. After divorce, finding love again could be a challenge but it appeared Alex and Lissa had gotten lucky. Yet as they start their lives as newlyweds, Alex and Lissa don’t realize just how difficult it might be to blend a family.

When Alex’s ex new marriage begins to unravel, she sets her sights again on Alex. Does Alex still have feelings for the mother of his child? Will Lissa keep her best friend or lose her husband?

Fairy tales promise a happily-ever-after. But what really happens after the after.

BIO:
As a writer, Melissa likes to keep current on topics of interest in the world of writing. She’s a member of the Romance Writers of America and EPIC. Melissa is always interested in improving her writing through classes and seminars. She also believes in helping other authors and features authors and their books on her blog.

Melissa doesn’t believe in down time. She’s always keeping busy. Melissa is a wife and mother, an elementary school teacher, a book reviewer, an editor for a publishing company as well as an author. Her home blends two families and is a lot like the Brady Bunch, without Alice- a large grocery bill, tons of dirty dishes and a mound of laundry. She loves to write stories that feature “happy endings” and is often found plotting her next story.

http://www.melissakeir.com
http://www.facebook.com/melissaakeir
http://www.facebook.com/AuthorMelissaKeir (fan page)
www.twitter/melissa_keir

17 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

Thanks for letting me share today! You guys rock!

Tina Donahue said...

Three's a Crowd sounds wonderful, Melissa. How lucky you are to have such great kids! :)

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you Tina! I am very fortunate!

Florence Price said...

Awesome post Melissa - Sounds like your kids are wonderful people!!!

Connie Bretes said...

Hi Melissa, sounds like you've done a terrific job with your children. I've written two manuscripts - one that involves young children, and one that involves adult children, which I hope to get published. We'll see. Sorry I didn't get over to talk with you at the meeting but it was great seeing you.

Connie

Kenzie Michaels said...

I've got kids in two of my books, and they were sooo much fun to write! Three's a Crowd sounds wonderful! It's going on my TBB list:)

R. Ann Siracusa said...

The relationship between mother and son is truly amazing. You've done a great job with your children. Of course, it depends on personalities, but one thing I've noticed over the years is that in sons' eyes, mothers aren't allowed to be sick. You're supposed to be always able to cope.(My two sons are in their late forties and they still expect me to be impervious.)

Cara Marsi said...

Melissa, I agree with the others that you've done a wonderful job with your children. You're truly blessed. Three's A Crowd sounds like a wonderful, heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you everyone. I am very pleased with my children. They've had their issues but have come through stronger. Ironically, I never wished to have a son. I grew up with four sisters, so boys were unknowns to me. I'm so blessed to have him though.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Melissa!! Your kids sound as amazing as their mom! I love my kids-wouldn't know what to do without them :)

Nicole Morgan said...

Loved the post Melissa! I'm a mom of 2 daughters but I have a stepson who I think of as my own. :) I'm very lucky.

Sandy said...

Melissa, I love the premise of your story. It sounds great. You have wonderful kids; both of them sound exceptional.

Anonymous said...

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own
a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?

If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

Feel free to visit my web page: Abercrombie Paris

Melissa Keir said...

I am very fortunate. My children are good kids. They are very driven like their mom. In fact, my daughter is already writing her first book!

Anonymous said...

Three's a Crowd sounds like a great story, Melissa. And aren't you the proud Mom! Happy to say I know how you fee. Congratulations on the new release!

Diane Burton said...

Great post, Melissa. Your children sound so much like mine.

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you everyone for the comments about Three's a Crowd. It's a short novella that is a sequel to Second Time's the Charm but can be read as a stand alone. :)

Share buttons