All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, November 25, 2011

Guest Blog: Laurie Ryan & Lavada Dee: Chores Can Be Romantic...Can't They?

Things have sure been hopping here at Romance Books R Us and I’d like to thank Marianne and the rest of the group for having me here.

One of my beta-readers made a comment that has me thinking about romantic gestures. She’d picked out a particular scene in my new story, Healing Love, that she called an “ahhhhh” moment. It made me go back and read that scene again. My heroine is upset---VERY upset. She runs out into the bitter cold with nothing but hospital scrubs on. Ducking into a library to warm up, she ends up spending hours there. As she prepares to return, the guy at the main desk hands her the hero’s coat. He’d tracked her down, deduced her need to be alone, but left his coat for her to use when she was ready.

That really is a romantic gesture, isn’t it? I didn’t originally think of it in that light. It’s different from when a couple first meets. At that point, when first getting to know each other, the acts that warm our hearts are phone calls, or a man opening a woman’s car door, or flowers.

The part we don’t generally get to address in romance novels is how these gestures morph over time. As a relationship progresses, the things we consider romantic aren’t as easy to decipher. My husband and I have been married for 22 years. Since a solid chunk of my time is now devoted to the business of writing, I’ve noticed he’s been picking up more and more of what have typically been “my” chores. He empties the dishwasher, takes care of the cat box, and a lot of other little things that free me up to write. That’s the most amazing kind of support and I think it’s a gesture of his love for me. I call these things romantic gestures and I appreciate him every single day for making them.

Do you think chores can be considered a romantic gesture? What kind of gestures do you like to write about…or see in your daily life? What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever seen, either in a movie, a book, or real life? I’d love to hear your stories.

BIO:
Healing Love, due out December 1st, is part of a two-story holiday anthology Laurie us doing with author Lavada Dee. Both multi-published authors, Laurie Ryan and Lavada Dee lead parallel lives in the Pacific Northwest. They decided they must have been sisters in a prior life because there are too many similarities between them, from children named the same, to calling or emailing each other at the same time. Even these stories, written separately, ended up with the same primary theme—family.

Magic, The Gift of Love
A two-story anthology, including:

Priceless Love by Lavada Dee
“For Richer, For Poorer.”

Taylor Hamilton, dissatisfied with a life designed by her parents, attends a friend’s fall wedding and finds small town life agrees with her. The problem is, her wealth doesn’t agree with the man she falls for. Is their love strong enough to find a bridge of trust where money isn’t an issue?

Healing Love by Laurie Ryan
“In Sickness and in Health.”

Nicole Milbourne’s single-minded focus on a medical research career is thrown for a loop when charismatic Dr. Damien Reed shows her there’s more to life than studying diseases. Will an unexpected Christmas fill Nicole’s lonely heart and show her the healing power of love?

For more information and buy links:
http://lavadadee.com
http://www.laurieryanauthor.com/index.html

16 comments:

Harlie Williams said...

Hi Laurie and I think they can. My hubby had been off the first of this week and he did laundry, clean the toilets and made the bed every day while I was work. He and our son still manage to nap, go fishing and generally do nothing but it sure was nice to come home from work and chores that I normally would do were done. ***sigh*** I'll keep him!

Marika

Tina Donahue said...

A guy washing the dishes, taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom is very romantic. To me, it shows respect for the woman and her time. She's not there to serve him, they're there to serve each other. Great post. :)

Lavada Dee said...

Hi Laurie,
Like you I have a supportive and caring husband. Even more so now since we both are retired. Yesterday was a good example. He helped with the turkey which was really heavy and afterward pitched in and deboned the turkey and then helped with dishes. Our son followed suit and made cleanup not only fast but fun.

No wonder we write about families.

Sandy said...

I agree that a hubby helping with the household chores shows real love. My hubby does all the tough to do cleaning for me because he knows the pain I have with fibromyalgia.

jean hart stewart said...

Definitely chores count a big romantic gestures. Fortunately my kids hava followed his habit and are so much help. It all shows love. Jean

Laurie Ryan said...

Harlie Reader - Yes, you're guy is definitely a keeper. He does toilets? Does he hire out? :) Thanks for stopping by!

Laurie Ryan said...

Tina,
Hi! And I agree. It IS a sign of respect, isn't it. Well stated.

Laurie Ryan said...

Hi, Lavada. Yep. I think we get the inspiration for our writing by looking around at our lives, and our families.

Laurie Ryan said...

Sandy,
Ouch. I know (thankfully not personally) that fibromyalgia is painful. My friend can't even turn the key in the car ignition sometimes. Thank goodness you have a husband willing to pitch in when things get rough. Best of luck to you!

Laurie Ryan said...

Jean,
Now that's paying it forward, having your kids learn by example. Thanks for the comment!

Adele Dubois said...

I enjoyed reading your post. As a long-time married woman, I agree that kindness and consideration from my husband is very romantic.

Best of luck with your release!

~Adele

Laurie Ryan said...

Thanks, Adele. Both Lavada and I are excited for these stories to be out there for readers. And I am really loving all the comments about considerate husbands. We've got some great guys, don't we? :)

Liz said...

I get positively orgasmic at the sight of my spouse doing anything in the kitchen....
but I will say he is great at yard work...I never lift a finger to do any of that.
thanks for this

Molly Daniels said...

Four years ago, my hubby was working out of town and one weekend showed up with 30 lbs of meat from our favorite butcher. I started joking that 'I love you' equaled 'Here's meat for the freezer':)

And yes...the hero leaving his coat for her and giving her time shows maturity we'd wish all men had!

Anonymous said...

You pointed roughly finicky subject matter. These tips are very beneficial.

Anonymous said...

hi to all romancebooksrus.blogspot.comers this is my first post and thought i would say a big hello to yous -
regards speak again soon
gazza

Share buttons