All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Monday, July 4, 2016

Suspension of Disbelief & something new by Rose Anderson #WRWBuzz #99cents

In 1817, a philosopher and poet by the name of Samuel Taylor Coleridge made a curious observation. He suggested that were a writer to infuse "human interest and a semblance of truth" into an otherwise outlandish tale, the reader would suspend judgement on its implausibility. This came to be known as Coleridge's Suspension of Disbelief. 

My first encounter with it as a reader was through Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain. The author so stuffed his story with real facts that there were several points along the way where I actually wondered if The Andromeda Strain was a real account of a biological tragedy in Piedmont Arizona. In my defense, I was only 14 at the time. I mention that story because I too became a writer who loves to craft fiction around actual facts.  

I just love when authors weave fanciful stories around factual information. It allows the reader to disappear into the fantasy. As Rose Anderson and Madeline Archer, I often find inspiration for my novels in the myths, fairy tales, and legends of the world. My adult fairy tales are all written with the suspension of disbelief in mind, and believe me, I've written some tall tales! My newest blending of fact and fancy is about a Victorian adventurer who buys an ancient lamp in Turkey's Grand Bazaar and soon discovers it holds an unbelievable surprise. Can you guess? The tale is More Than Wishes, one of nine international stories found in the Letterbox Love Stories anthology.

More Than Wishes was inspired by Scheherazade and her One Thousand Nights and a Night. This ancient storyteller extraordinaire married a man who was determined to see her put to death the morning after their marriage. He had reasons for his paranoia-- his first wife tried to assassinate him on their wedding night. Each night, Scheherazade told him a story and left it as a cliffhanger when the sun came up. He couldn't very well have her killed-- he wanted to know how the story ended! For 1001 nights Scheherazade kept him interested and distracted by her stories. Before long, the temporary madness plaguing her husband passed and they fell deeply in love. One Thousand Nights and a Night is better known as 1001 Arabian Nights.  
 
 

Blurb~

More Than Wishes
Raised on a sailor’s tales of adventure and eager for her own, Stella Cunningham answers an advertisement for a traveling companion to the Orient. There she purchases an ancient bronze lamp with a secret. In the land of flying carpets and genies, Stella is about to have the adventure of a lifetime.





Also available elsewhere. 99¢ for a limited time.

 >>۞<<

Rose Anderson is an award-winning author and dilettante who loves great conversation and delights in discovering interesting things to weave into stories. Rose also writes across genres under the pen name Madeline Archer. She lives with her family and small menagerie amid oak groves and prairie in the rolling glacial hills of the upper Midwest.

Stop by my blog for interesting topics all month long.
Find my links page and free reads too!
Subscribe to get my posts in your inbox!

Find Madeline's sweet to spooky stories and Rose's scorching novels in ebook and paperback on Amazon, Barnes&Noble,
and elsewhere.





11 comments:

janeleopoldquinn.blogspot.com said...

My copy of Letterbox Love Stories arrived on my Kindle this morning, so I'm looking forward to reading the stories. Love is love no matter the genre of the story. Love, connection, and relationships. That's what we all want and want to read.

Rose Anderson said...

Thanks for giving this anthology a chance! I think you'll enjoy it, Jane.

Paris said...

What a delightful beginning to a story! I really do need to know how this one ends :)

jean hart stewart said...

Sounds like a wonderful story....I'll bet you had fun writing this...

Melissa Keir said...

I love when authors weave fact into a story! Yours sounds great! I wish you all the best!

Rose Anderson said...

It was fun to write. :)

Unknown said...

Your story is enchanting, Rose. I love nothing more than a story that carries me into a magical realm of mystery and romance.

Cara Marsi said...

I too love when authors weave facts into fanciful stories. I'm thrilled to be part of this anthology with you, Rose. I can't wait to read your story. It sounds great!

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic.
Tweeted.

R. Ann Siracusa said...

Rose, Great minds think alike. I'd planned to do my July 10 blog of Suspension of Disbelief. How about that? Great subject and it takes more skill that we think sometimes. Ann

Denysé Bridger said...

Nicely done, Rose - and your story in Letterbox Love Stories is wonderful!!

Share buttons