All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Daffodils - Did You Know That...

Marianne Stephens:
(I tried to find photos of castles with Daffodils!)

1) The Daffodil is the flower for the month of March?

2) The Daffodil means rebirth/new beginning and beauty?

3) The botanic name for Daffodil is Narcissus? And here's a Greek tale how it got the name Narcissus:
A man name Narcissus loved to look at himself. One day when he was looking at himself in a pool of water, he fell in and drown. From his grave, a flower grew and it was a Narcissus..or Daffodil, a more common name. 

4) There's an American Daffodil Society? http://daffodilusa.org/

5) In China, the blooming of Daffodils is celebrated as a symbol o f wealth/good fortune?

6) The Daffodil is a symbol of cancer research?
 
7) For romantics, the Daffodil means rekindling an old love?

8) The Daffodil is the 10th wedding anniversary flower?

9) William Wordsworth wrote the following poem about Daffodils in 1804?

I wandered lonely as a cloud
  That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
  A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
  And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
  Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.




The waves beside them danced; but they
  Outdid the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
  In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
  In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
  Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

And, I'm happy to mention that MY Daffodils are blooming, bright yellow in color and adorn my front yard!


photos:Flickr: Karen Roe, Jack Pease, Duncan,  LauraBittner's photostreams

http://www.mariannestephens.net
http://naughtyliterati.com
Two NL short story anthologies available - visit NL website for blurbs/excerpts/buy links for:
Naughty List
Naughty Hearts
Releasing in May: Naughty Flings


3 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

Marianne, thanks for the poem and the history of daffodils, and for your beautiful pictures. Our daffodils aren't out yet because we're still in the grip of winter. I can't wait to see their little heads thrusting through the ground. It will mean winter is finally over.

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you for the information. I wish my daffodils were blooming but with the back to below freezing temps, I'm glad they are hidden still beneath the ground.

jean hart stewart said...

Where did you find those gorgeous pictures! Seriously, I never seem to find picture I want that are free to use. LOve, Love, love, in Califonia.

Share buttons