All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

.Christmas Miracles and Holiday Blues #RB4U



Christmas Miracles and Holiday Blues


Christmas is a time for miracles and many of the best holiday movies remind us about the meaning of the season! It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorite holiday movies. The idea of how one person's choices can influence a whole town and bring about a miracle is just one reason I love this old classic. I'm sure you've seen the movie and probably can quote some of the more famous lines from it! If not, you really should check it out. I'm sure it's playing on many of the television channels throughout December. 


This movie's message is so important to me that I featured a small nod to it in my Christmas novella- A Christmas Accident
When a horrible blizzard causes an automobile accident that puts the lives of those Sherri loves on the line, can a Christmas miracle save them?


In A Christmas Accident, I use a real piece of my family history in the story. Just like the main character, my mom was in a coma. They thought she'd never make it...however, just like in the story, she does wake up. While my mom's miracle didn't happen during the Christmas holiday, I can't help but think of my mom during this time of year. She survived her coma and lived ten more years, seeing two more of her daughters married and meeting two of her grandchildren. 

The Christmas I got my baton!
However, it was two days before Christmas over fifteen years ago that I lost her. So Christmas and my mom's passing are forever connected. This brings about the holiday blues. My holiday season is bittersweet. I have so many wonderful memories of spending Christmas with my family, the times mom and I decorated cookies, made dinner and wrapped presents. I'm fortunate that she got to know my children and that they remember her fondly. Yet, each Christmas there's a hole in my heart, which is why I used a real-life event in my Christmas story. I wanted to pay tribute to her and the miracle which gave me ten more years with her.

If you want to read more about the miracle we experienced, check out A Christmas Accident, the third story of the Wilder Sisters (can be read as a stand alone). Only $0.99 and a perfect short holiday read! AMAZON



What is your holiday season like? What memories do you have of that time? 

21 comments:

Diane Burton said...

What a touching story, Melissa. Christmas was hard for my mom. She lost both her parents (9 years apart) at Christmas time. Although I hardly knew my grandfather, my grandmother's death hit me pretty hard. I always felt she was a kindred spirit.

Christmas changed after my children were born--and now my grandchildren. It's such a delight watching their excitement. Merry Christmas, Melissa, to you & your family.

Rohn Federbush said...

I remember being elected to tell my little brother there was no Santa. The year 1950 was a difficult one for the family, financially. I think the paucity of presents required the end of magic. My two sisters and I received warm hats and the family received a box of hard candy. Even so, my brother argued with me. And I still believe in Magic!

Rohn Federbush said...

I remember being elected to tell my little brother there was no Santa. The year 1950 was a difficult one for the family, financially. I think the paucity of presents required the end of magic. My two sisters and I received warm hats and the family received a box of hard candy. Even so, my brother argued with me. And I still believe in Magic!

KatB said...

Sending warm wishes and hopes of happy memories your way this Christmas. Great post.

Cara Marsi said...

Melissa, what a touching tribute to your mother. The holidays are bittersweet for a lot of people. I can remember my own mother crying every Christmas for years after her mother died because she missed her so much. My mother died 11 days before Christmas four years ago. It was almost a mercy that she died considering her bad health. Of course, I think about her a lot during this time of year. Best to you and your family.

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

Christmas is hard for a lot of people. We are led to have such big expectations and often life lets us down. When I find myself feeling melancholy, I try to be thankful for all that's good. I think putting some of our feelings into a story helps. I hope your Christmas will be peaceful and bright, spent with those you love.

Lynda Bailey said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal story, Melissa. I hope this holiday season brings you the joy and hope I know your mama would wish for you.

Anonymous said...

So touching, Melissa. We lost a good friend to cancer 2 days before Christmas a couple years ago-we always think of him this time of year. With sorrow and joy.

Rose Anderson said...

A touching story, Melissa. When loss pins itself to a holiday, we can't help but revisit with bittersweet memories. I lost my dad the day after Christmas. I do love the holiday for many reasons, but there's always a part of me that can't wait until it's over.

Good luck with your book. My best to you and your family. :)

Sandy said...

Melissa, mom's always leave a hole in your heart when they leave us and it does make the holidays difficult and sad. My really down day is Mother's Day and the advertising before hand.

Your story sounds wonderful.

Tina Donahue said...

So sorry for your loss, Melissa. It's never easy to lose your mom, but when it's around Christmas, that makes it especially hard.

Alyssa Alexander said...

Hugs to you, Melissa! Christmas can be both a joy and difficult, and I hope you think most of the joyful parts!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! When some incident from real life is brought to our stories, there is a more honesty in our feelings and emotions.

I only have had one bad Christmas and that was the year my youngest was seven months old and all of us caught the flu. We couldn't hardly get out of bed to open our own packages much less go to anyone's house. My dad he didn't want that to happen again.

Congratulations on your book, my friend. You deserve all good things. VB

D'Ann said...

Ah, that is so sad. Hugs.

Judy Baker said...

I have to read that story Melissa, it sounds filled with emotions. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

jean hart stewart said...

Xmas brings mixed memories to so many of us. Missing the one or ones who have left us, while appreciate all we still have. May it be merry and bright for all of you.

Maris said...

As another commenter said, no matter what the season, it's always difficult to lose a mother. I remember my mother taking me to San Francisco at Christmas time to see the decorations. The city was magical and we'd always have lunch over there and sometimes see a play. Try to remember the good times you and your mother shared. We can't have them back, but we can treasure those memories.

Daryl Devoré said...

What a beautiful post and wonderful tribute to your mother.

Paris said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. Losing a loved one during the holiday season is always difficult. I'm so glad you had so many happy, warm memories.

Watching "It's a Wonderful Life", is my favorite way of kicking off the season!

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you everyone. She was a wonderful person and I'm fortunate to still have my father around. Time is a great healer and each year, I find that things are still worth celebrating. :)

I hope she enjoys the book, because the miracle was really hers.

Marianne Stephens said...

Sad about your mother, but what happiness you had for the extra time she was with you. Celebrating is difficult when you lose a loved one close to holidays...remember the good times, and take joy in being surrounded by family and friends.

Share buttons