All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, October 3, 2014

Interview of Author Joanne Jaytanie: Birth of a Character

“Hey, I know her…He sounds just like my brother… I’m sure that character was fashioned after me.”

Do writers really use people they know as characters in their books, or are they created in our mind? I can’t speak for everyone, but I use a mixture. I’m a people watcher. At the park, Movie Theater, mall, coffee shop, or airport, I love to watch people interact and react to each other. I pick up on their quirks, irritations, and positive traits. When something catches my eye, I whip out my iPad and make a short note. I have a file full of notes and when I start to give a character life, I will often pull from that file to round out his or her personality.

I have to admit, I don’t always use strangers. I have been known to incorporate a few traits of friends into the mix. For example, the idea of The Winters Sisters Series rolled around in my mind for a while, with one missing link, I couldn’t come up with my first heroine. One day my Veterinarian girlfriend, Cindy and I were sitting on the floor of an exam room talking while we waited for the acupuncture to do its thing on one of my Dobermans. We chatted about everything we both did for our canine family and what they meant to us. It was that very moment all the pieces fell into place and Victory Winters was born; she was based on my very dear and caring friend.

So, I guess my advice is always play nice. Because you never know, someone might be watching you….

BIO:
Joanne was born and raised in Sherburne, New York, a quaint village surrounded by dairy farms and rolling hills. From the moment she could read she wanted to explore the world. She lives with her husband and Dobermans, in their home in Washington State, with a panoramic view of the Olympic Mountains. Joanne’s favorite stories revolve around paranormal and romantic suspense. She loves writing about the twists and turns of her character’s lives and the trouble they find themselves involved in, coupled with building an everlasting relationship.

BLURB:
A small town can be a quaint, friendly place to call home. It can also be an impossible place to find a date. When Tegan, the owner of Que Syrah Syrah wine shop starts a Tuesday night singles-mingle, Laura, Chloe, and Becca are the only attendees—not a single man in sight. They continue to meet every Tuesday, but secretly change their name to The Love List. They write the names of a few single men and drop them into a basket. They women draw a name and promise to ask the man on a date. The Love List seems a success as one by one the women find their true love. Except in Laura’s case, date after date she is plagued with losers. She is certain the basket is cursed.

Travis Jerome is new to town. He notices a “Help Wanted” sign outside of a Victorian house and jumps at the chance to get back to his roots and have the feel of a hammer in his hand. He gets an extra bonus when he meets the attractive owner of the home, Laura Tate. Unfortunately she doesn’t appear to have the least bit of interest in him.

For something to last a lifetime it must start with a strong foundation and build up from there.

Buy Link:  Amazon
Website

17 comments:

Sandy said...

What a great way to find a heroine for your story. Small towns can be very intricate with everyone knowing everyone's business. I came from a small town in the Midwest. lol

Judy Baker said...

I love watching people too, but I've never taken notes. I think I'll try using my ipad more often and jot down notes like you do. Thanks for the tip.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Absolutely! Because life is stranger than fiction.

J Jaytanie said...

Sandy, I was born and raised in a village in central state New York, so I can truly relate!

J Jaytanie said...

Judy, I'm glad I could give you the tip. I love my ipad! I was always digging for paper, which I never had. I carry my ipad with me most of the time, but if I don't have it I post in my note section on my iphone. What in the world did they do before all this wonderful technology??

J Jaytanie said...

Isn't that the truth, Vicki!

Chris Karlsen said...

I think it's hard not to use a mix of people, those we create and those we take idiosyncrasies from. Most of the real people, I find are flattered and excited by the inclusion.
Chris Karlsen

Alison Jean Ash said...

Great interview. I really like the part about where you find your characters' traits.

J Jaytanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J Jaytanie said...

I agree Chris. I think we us real people without even realizing it. How can we not. Writing is part of what we do and who we are and the people around us influence us daily.

Sharon Kleve said...

Great post Joanne.

Sharon

Unknown said...

Great interview. Your friend sounds like a great lady. Can't wait to read this...

Amber Daulton said...

Great interview. I love learning how authors come up with their characters.

Melissa Keir said...

I love to use the people around me, even if it's just a name or a small snippet. I agree that we find the most interesting things when we are people watching! I love your cover and wish you all the best!

Unknown said...

Awesome Interview! Love that you watch people...their actions speak so much louder than word of who that person is. I do that when I first meet a person face to face...cause I have met some beautiful people at first glance seem great...but they have a ugly heart...when you watch them...then I have met people who might not have the looks...but are are the most perfect loving people..
Its all in how you act...:) Love ya Joanne!!!

J Jaytanie said...

Thank you, Sharon, Barbi, Amber, Melissa, and Jan! Love you right back, Jan!

Unknown said...

Loved the interview, Joanne. I didn't know they did acupuncture on animals, but it makes total sense to me.

Share buttons