All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, March 28, 2014

Interview of Author Beth Wylde

Today I'm pleased to present an interview of romance author Beth Wylde.

Latest Book: Broadly Bound: Broad Horizons Book #1 (A GLBT BDSM anthology with stories by Beth Wylde, DL King, Syd McGinley and Kathleen Bradean
Excessica Buy Link
Also available for kindle and nook or in print at: https://www.createspace.com/3802757

BIO:
Erotic author/editor Beth Wylde writes what she likes to read, which includes a little bit of everything under the rainbow. Her stories span the spectrum in genre from paranormal to contemporary and in pairings from lesbian, het, bi, ménage and more. You can find her online at http://www.bethwylde.com/ or email her direct at b.wylde@yahoo.com

Beth also hosts a yahoo group strictly for writers and aspiring authors of lesbian fiction called Sapphic Planet. For info on membership email her directly.

Q: How did you celebrate publishing your first book?
A: After I got over the shock of seeing my name on it, I called the friends I knew who would support the type of story I wrote and we went out to dinner and I gave them all signed copies of the book and we took pictures of me holding a copy.

Q: What’s your writing schedule like? Do you strive for a certain amount of words each day?
A: I write when and where I can. With three young kids at home I have to make every moment at the keyboard count. I may get up in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn or work sometimes when they are at school. I don’t usually set a certain goal limit because things pop up that can’t be predicted so I do what I can and try to be happy with that. I tend to write things out longhand a lot and then go back and type it up later.

Q: How much of yourself is hidden in the characters in the book?
A: Just about every character has some kind of trait of mine. I tend to add in personal touches to make the stories feel more realistic to me. It helps me focus more when I’m writing them. If something sexy is taking place it’s usually a scene or a kink or fetish that personally turns me on or something I’m interested in.

Q: If you could change something about your first book, what would it be?
A: I’d have picked a better publisher. I should have done more research before submitting to the first place I saw that was open for subs. It was a harsh lesson but also an important one.

Q: Do you eat comfort food/listen to music when writing?
A: I love to eat so there’s often food at or near my computer. As for music, I can’t listen to it while I write. (I am one of those people that can’t hear a song without singing along) but I often use certain songs to help get me in the right frame of mind, depending on the type of story I’m working on.

Q: How do you choose names for your characters?
A: My characters usually name themselves. I get a lot of story ideas in my dreams when I sleep. As I start writing or typing the names just come to me. I leave them blank until then. I can’t force a name on a character or the story stops for me.

Q: Covers. Ever get one you wish you could change?
A: Oh yes. I had one cover I approved for an ebook anthology and later the book went into print. I was so freaking excited until I opened the box with my print copies and saw that the cover was totally different from the ebook and the new cover was dreadful. A total beefcake cover and it was a GLBT anthology so it didn’t fit in at all and whenever I took copies of that book to shows it never sold either. People would look at the cover and move on. I am so glad that book is out of circulation. I hope to self pub it sometime soon with a decent and fitting cover.

Q: Give one advice tip to an aspiring author.
A: Do your research. After you’ve written the story and have it perfect check out the publishers you plan to sub to. Ask questions, check them out. Buy a book or two of theirs and see if the editing is well done and if they are publishing what you are writing. There’s nothing worse then being stuck with a bad publisher or getting rejections because what you are sending them does not fit with what they normally sell.

Q: What genre would you like to try writing that you haven’t yet tried?
A: I have never done historical. I’m not sure I’d have the patience for the research but I’ve thought about trying it. I would love to write a vampire story someday. I’ve always had a fascination with them but I’d have to have an original spin on vamps in order to attempt it. They’ve been done to death. LOL

Q: Any part of a book that drives you crazy as you write: beginning, middle, or end?
A: The end. I always have the opening idea, and some knowledge of what’s going to happen, but I am a total punster so I never know how the story is going to end until I get there. Sometimes that’s really frustrating and I wish I could outline but I can’t write that way.

Fun Stuff:
Q: What is your favorite holiday and why?
A: Halloween. I get to dress up in crazy costumes. I love any excuse to dress up.

Q: What are two things people might be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a rather explosive temper. I’ve always wanted to own a huge RV and travel for a year.

Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: A singer, preferably a rock star. LOL

Q: Favorite food.
A: Just about anything. I’m not a picky eater. I don’t do spicy though.

Q: Favorite happy memory.
A: The birth of my children. Holding them for the first time.

Q: Favorite drink.
A: I’m a soda junkie. I’ve been trying to drink more water but I LOVE Dr. Pepper.

Q: Hot summer days or chilly winter nights?
A: Bring on the heat!

Q: What is the top thing on your bucket list?
A: To write a bestselling novel.

Q: If you could have a super power, what would it be?
A: I’d want to teleport. It would make traveling to events and back home again so much simpler and fast.

Q: Tell us where to find you: website(s), publisher’s page(s), blog(s), Facebook page(s), etc. List them all!
A: My temporary website while the original is getting an overhaul is: beth-wylde.tripod.com. You can also find me on twitter, fetlife and facebook. My busy yahoo group will be gearing up for a month long chat event in June so to join in on the fun visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bethwylde/ and I love to hear from readers. You can email me direct at b.wylde@yahoo.com

I run a yahoo group for authors and aspiring authors of lesbian stories. If you are interested in joining email me about Sapphic Planet at b.wylde@yahoo.com

BLURB:
Welcome to Broad Horizons; the world's first and only strictly GLBTQ BDSM entertainment facility. It's opening night and the owners, Dani and Maryanne, want to invite you inside for a first hand look at what they've created. With ten themed bondage rooms, a main stage with several smaller performance areas, a second level observatory, two bars and a dance floor, plus a few extra surprises, your pleasures are only as limited as your desires. Tonight's event is by invitation only so bring your RSVP, your proof that you're over twenty-one years of age and your imagination because this evening almost anything goes.

EXCERPT: from Broadening Our Horizons by Beth Wylde
I slammed the door to our apartment as hard as I could. The door rattled the frame as she jumped to a sitting position, her eyes darting around the room in an effort to figure out what the hell was going on. As her gaze settled on me, she calmed instantly. The wild look on her face turned to something darker and more serious. She swallowed hard and cast her eyes downwards toward the floor. I knew, by the way her hands shook where they gripped the covers, that I really had been ignoring her. I promised myself then and there that it would never happen again.

The walk across the floor to the bed took only seconds, though it felt like forever. We were hanging on the edge of something truly world-shattering and I needed to know she was with me for better or for worse before I offered up everything I had to her.

“Look at me.”

She obeyed my command instantly, peering hesitantly through her blonde bangs as she settled into her submissive role. We don’t live the lifestyle twenty-four seven but Maryanne can usually tell when I need to be in charge and she’s able to slip into the role effortlessly. “Yes, Master. What can I do to please you?”

I shook my head. “No questions from you. It’s my turn. It’s just me and you, no games. I want the truth. No lies between us. I’m going to ask you something and I want you to answer honestly, no matter how much you think the answer might upset me. You won’t be punished for being honest but if you lie to me there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

Her voice was barely above a whisper. “Yes, Master.”

“Are you happy here with me? Living in this place? Or would you prefer to be somewhere else with someone else?”

She sucked in a deep breath, her face showing her shock as she slowly replied to one of my questions. “I don’t mind living above the club. I know it’s necessary, at least until things take off.”

“What about your happiness?”

She blinked. “What about it?”

“I need to know that you’re okay with all of this.” I flung out my right hand in a gesture meant to encompass everything around us. “I know this past year has been hard on you. I know I haven’t been as attentive to you as I should have been. If you want to leave, I’ll let you. I won’t like it but I’ll understand. You can go, right now, no strings attached. I’ll consider our relationship over and you’ll be free to search for a new Domme who will treat you right.”

She looked close to tears. “Are you getting rid of me?”

I forced myself to stand back. All I really wanted to do was run to her side and sweep her up into my arms. “No. I thought you might want to get rid of me.”

She shook her head in violent denial. “Why would I want to do that? I love you. I know you’ve been busy lately, we both have, but things will be different once we open tomorrow night.”

I nodded and moved across the floor at a run, sinking down next to her on the bed. “Yes, things will be different, but they are going to start tonight.”

Anything else you’d like to add?
One thing, and this goes for most writers I think. We love feedback. If you read a story and you enjoy it take a moment to let the author know. Send them an email or write up a review on Amazon. It only takes a minute or two and, I know personally, it means the world to me to know people are enjoying what I work so hard to create.

That’s it. Happy reading!!!

2 comments:

jean hart stewart said...

Love this excerpt. Easy to see this is relationship I'd want to follow and know what happens next. Gotta have more!

Melissa Keir said...

Thanks for sharing more about you, Beth. I have known of you for years and have enjoyed getting to know you better.

The excerpt sounds great! I wish you all the best.

Share buttons