All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, January 12, 2014

How Do You Like The Cover of The Bridal Gift?




Thanks for visiting the Romance Books 4 Us blog. Today I’m giving away a RB4U t-shirt to one lucky commenter, so please don’t forget to leave your email address in case you are the winner.

I thought today I’d present a cover and title I’m releasing soon, and ask for comments. This first novel in my new series will launch in early March.

I wrote the story for the Harlequin Mills & Boon market fifteen years ago, and have rewritten it off and on ever since. It’s been through countless rewrites and edits. 

I’m delighted to say that it’s finally been through a professional edit and I’m completing the recommended changes. After fifteen years of labor, I’ll soon birth this baby! 



My son put together a bare bones cover about six months ago (see above). It feels to me like something is missing. I just can’t figure out what. So I thought the RB’4’US authors and readers might have a suggestion or two.

Also, what do you think of the title The Bridal Gift? Since this is a contemporary love story, I wonder if the title is now (fifteen years later) dated. I have a Google Alert set for Bridal Gift, and let me tell you, it’s a phrase that is rarely used!

The story takes place on a tropical island, with a brief trip to Texas. Some other title ideas are:

The Wedding Gift
Tropical Bride
Tropical Wedding
Island Bride

Do you have a title suggestion?

I truly appreciate your comments on these questions. Thanks to everyone who has a comment on either the cover or the title!

THE BRIDAL GIFT:

   Billionaire Texas oilman Travis MacFarland bought a resort on a Caribbean island, hoping to drive away demons that have haunted him since a tragic boating accident years ago on a Texas lake.
   Dive boat operator and dolphin communicator Arabella Weston is a free spirit going through a tough time. Her cheating fiancé dumped her and cleared out their joint account, leaving her in peril of losing boat and livelihood.
   In Arabella, Travis sees a carefree joyous woman who can help him overcome his fears. He has never felt better than when he is with her.
   In Travis, Arabella sees a drowning man, a knight in tarnished armor, battle weary but wanting to believe. When his charm shines through, she wants to help him heal.
   But what will his recovery cost her? Can she maintain her inner bliss while helping him discover his own?
   During a hurricane on stormy seas, they will find out.  
 



20 comments:

vickyb said...

Love the cover! And wish was there with her. Sounds like a great book too!

vickyb said...

Don't know why blogger kicked me out before I finished... but...

I actually like the title and cover. But, if you want to come closer to the blurb, you could put storm clouds in the background. Or maybe a boat in the water?

Sandy said...

I love your cover for its simplicity. Maybe a tag line would help. Also, I think Bridal Gift is an old-fashioned term, which would suggest historical. Tropical Bride is my choice.

Your story sounds interesting. Good luck with your baby.

Adrienne deWolfe said...

Hi, Gemma! I think the cover is beautiful! There's something so free-spirited about it!

I can vouch for titles that include the word TEXAS (I've had 3 #1 bestsellers with them.) Among your titles, I like Island Bride.

Other titles (off the top of my head, so don't gag or anything):

Hurricane Hearts

Love Storm (Texas Love Storm; Island Love Storm; Tropical Love Storm)

Island Flame

Castaway Bride (Well . . . that one may need work, 'cause CASTAWAY could imply a throw-away bride instead of shipwreck)

Texas Castaways

Hope those help.

Cheers!

Adrienne deWolfe
(You KNOW where to find me. Ha!)

http://WildTexasNights.com

http://WritingNovelsThatSell.com

http://MagicMayhemBlog.com

Carly Carson said...

I loved the cover for its simplicity. If I had to make a critical comment, I'd say maybe you could get a prettier view of greenery. That one is ordinary, but it works as a backdrop. I like your title because it made me wonder. But Island Bride is also good.

LKF said...

I love the cover, and the title. It's simple and makes you want to open the book.
But I also like
Tropical Bride
Inlet cove
Now I'm blank. But what you have is good.
Lynda

M. S. Spencer said...

I like the cover too, but vickyb's suggestion of storm clouds is interesting--that all is not well in paradise. Don't care for the alternate titles--but Bridal Gift is a little confusing (sounds like what the bride gives to her bridesmaids)--how about The Bride's Gift or Gift of the Bride? M. S.

Tina Donahue said...

I love the cover - sounds like a wonderful story. :)

Melissa Keir said...

I love the cover but all the suggestions are valid. I like the idea of the boat or maybe a dolphin in the water. Maybe there's a cowboy hat on the shore.

I agree about the title. It seems more historical. Stormy Bride, Island Storms... hmmmm... tough choice. All the best!

Unknown said...

Hi Vicky! Yes, looks like a relaxing and fun place to be. I was thinking about a boat... thanks!

Hi Sandy, thanks for the input, especially on the title.

Adrienne, thanks so much for those creative titles! I like some of them a lot. Texas is a bid draw, isn't it? The subtitle or series title will have Texas in it.

Carly, great comment about the greenery. Perhaps my son can brighten and illuminate it.

Hi Lynda, another vote for Tropical Bride. Thanks!

Hi M.S.! All is not well in paradise and that's a fact. I like the thought of adding something to that effect.

Thanks Tina! Glad you like it 'as is'.

Some awesome suggestions, Melissa, thanks! I thought about the dolphin too. Love the hat on the shore idea.

Thank you all, these comments are extremely helpful!

Sandy said...

I like the cover, but it looks a bit bland. Storm clouds could help, or choppy water with a boat and two people struggling to hold it level.

If the story is set in Texas you can use Texas in the title.

Sandy said...

I forgot something. What is the bridal gift? Is it something that can be used on the cover?

Where is Nina when you need her? lol

Nicole Morgan said...

I like the cover! :)

Rose Anderson said...

Huge congrats for finally getting it out there, Gemma! I hope it soars for you. I like Island Bride with that picture.

Cara Marsi said...

This sounds like a terrific book. I like the title The Bridal Gift. I also like Island Bride. It seems anything with bride in the title sells. I like the cover also. It's easy to see and to read the title. Others have given you some great suggestions.

Unknown said...

I like the cover, but storm clouds would be an atmospheric addition.

As for the title, I like Tropical Bride, but even better I like Adrienne deWolfe's suggestion of Hurricane Hearts.

Sounds like a great book!

Evelyn Arvey / Pen name Gail Bridges

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy, thanks for you insights. The bridal gift is the dive boat, amongst other things.

Thanks, Nicole! :)

Rose, I like Island Bride as well, thanks!

Thanks for your help, Cara. Another vote for Island Bride. Bride titles are just as hot as Texas titles.

Evelyn, the fine thing about Hurricane Hearts is that there is a hurricane in the book. Thanks for your input.

Unknown said...

I'll check comments again later, but thanks to all of you for helping me evaluate the cover and title. You are an incredible group of authors and friends!

Mary Preston said...

It's such a lovely fresh cover & gives me a sense of the story.

ELF said...

I am not a person who spends a lot of time studying covers so I may not be the best person to offer an opinion but I think it might be nice to have something that represents the hero, if not him being present, and perhaps...The Bride's Gift. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Share buttons