All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

I have a title and a contract...

And now I am working hard on two more wips...

I certainly hope it doesn't take me another year to get one of them done. I was in the middle of working hard on a shifter story, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, a lightning bolt struck, and I had to quickly get it in writing (or at least a bit of it) before I lost the train of thought. So now I am madly switching back and forth, trying to keep from going stagnant while trying hard to keep the thread firmly in mind.

When I first started writing, I was using one of these old manual typewriters...and a LOT of paper.  Having my trusty computers now, I can type my heart out, and never have to wad up and toss a dozen sheets out when I realize my mind has taken a wrong turn.

Well, I just sent in a contract on Skinwalker's Woman, and I am now waiting for first edits. I hope this old-fart brain of mine can handle two wips and edits all at the same time.  

I am totally a pantser when I write...and often, when I come up with a great thought in the middle of a story, I have to go back and adjust the first part to fit in with the middle. LOL!  In fact, I have been known to write the ending first, then go back and build it from the inside out.  A few times, back in the good old days, I would sit at my typewriter and I wouldn't move as long as my muse kept spouting. Except bathroom and coffee breaks, that is.

I have many pals who totally outline a story and can present a query letter without a blink, while this old lady finishes the entire story before self-editing, and only then does she sub it. I know myself too well.  I might sub a query to my editor, then change the whole story before it gets finished...and I hate to do that to my editor.

Wish me luck, dear ones...I think I'm gonna need it...

Hugs!

Fran Lee

12 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Congrats on your newest contract, Fran! :)

Nina Pierce said...

From one pantser to another ... boy, do I understand that! Congrats on the new contract.

Nicole Morgan said...

Oh my.. Sending many many well wishes and good luck your way, Fran!!!!

jean hart stewart said...

I'm a pantser too. Kinda unhandy sometimes when I forget what I've just written and need to go back and correct. No wonder I need a good editor. Lots of good wishes sent your way.

vicki batman said...

Yeah, Fran, a contract. Happy dancing. I'm a pantser too. Unfortunately, I revise and revise and probably am the slowest writer around. But in the end, I'm happy.

Fran Lee said...

I once tried very hard to write a query letter...but by the time I got it finished, I had already changed a few ideas...so I gave up. LOL! Thanks, ladies!

Cris Anson said...

Yay, another Fran Lee Native American story coming up!! So glad for you. Can't wait to read it.

I certainly identify with your pantsing angst, as I'm a pantser also. I do need a push to finish my WIP before Romanticon, because I can't focus on this last big crisis the characters are having.

Melissa Keir said...

Whoot! Yea! Congrats! I'm sure you will be able to handle or juggle the different projects. Who knows...they might give you a wonderful idea for another book!

Paris said...

Yeah, Fran! Congrats on the contract:) I wish I could manage to finish a story before I started revising, lol but that doesn't seem to be the way my brain works. Wishing you buckets of luck, lady!

Cara Marsi said...

Fran, congrats on your contract. I'm not a total pantster nor am I a total plotster. I do a loose outline before I began, then I let the story take over. I wish I could write it all out and then edit, but I have to edit as I go. Can't do it any other way. Best of luck.

Sandy said...

Congrats, Fran. lol I'm a pantser, too.

Fran Lee said...

Thanks, everyone, for the great comments! I love reading them...

Share buttons