All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Guest Blog: Margaret Taylor: Writing A Book is Like Eating Your Favorite Sandwich...

As an Author, many times I'm asked, "Where did you get that idea?" or "How do you write a book?"

My fellow Authors can attest to the fact that these two questions are probably the most consistent ones we get asked. Am I right ladies and gents?

So, I was thinking that today I'd try and answer them.

The first, "Where did you get that idea?" is probably the more common of the two, so we'll start there.

Most of my ideas come, literally, from everyday life and I'll give you an example of the one I had not too long ago so you can understand.

Now, as we all know, the Superbowl was not too far back. And no, I'm not going to start talking about what an awesome game it was! Because it was. If you didn't watch the game, you've probably heard about it by now, so I won't recount any of it.

What I will focus on is the other big story of the game...the lights going out.

Like most, I watched the game, beginning to end and it was only afterwards that an idea came to me for a new book. As I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep in the aftermath of the nail biting previous five hours or so, I thought...what if?

And here's the "What If?" I came up with.

What if the lights going out wasn't some sort of power feed failure as they are saying it was? What if it was a very powerful witch or warlock or sorcerer who had an obscene amount of money bet on the 49's? Said witch or warlock or sorcerer, seeing the game getting away from his/her team decides to intervene and with his/her power or spell or whatever, shuts off the lights in the hopes that'll be enough of a break for his/her team to recharge and come back.

Ah ha! I now have my bad guy or girl, yeah?

So that thought led to...ok, so who would be my hero/heroine in that scenario and which of the many series I have going could I fit said bad guy? Well, the second part of that question was easy to answer. I have a stand-alone paranormal, "Love’s Prophecy" into which the above scenario would fit perfectly as a possible "Book 2". That left me with, ok, who's going to be my protagonist, or good guy to the bad?

Hmmm...

Alright, I admit that was about the point my mind drifted to other things and I fell asleep shortly thereafter. However, when I woke the next day, I wrote down the thought and will eventually flesh it out for possible development/writing.

Now, this leads to the second question I get asked, A LOT! "How do you write a book?"

This question is not so easy to answer. What works for me may not necessarily work for you. There are numerous schools of thought on how to write. Many have published books, there are a ton of websites, and the most obvious, creative writing courses out there.

And I'm not talking about the technical stuff. The grammar, the punctuations, the sentence structure and so on. That comes with time, practice and a damn good editor behind you! (Ladies and gents, ALWAYS pay due homage to the editor. They are the ones that bless the final product and make sure - if they are worth said due homage - that your work looks really good on the backside of the creative process.) So, no, we're not talking about that part.

What I am talking about is putting your ideas onto paper. Getting that scenario, or “What If” out of your head and out there for all to see.

This is not as easy as it might seem. Everyone wishes they could write the Great American Novel. I think it's something that crosses everyone's Bucket List at some point or another in their lives. It's human nature. Despite the tunnel vision we've developed in the last 50 years, we are, by our very nature, Sharers. We want to tell our stories to the perfect stranger sitting next to us. We want people to know our trials and tribulations. Before the Internet, we did this via hand-written and eventually typed letters. Now, we do it via email, Facebook, Blogs, Twitter and so on.

Regardless of the method, we share. It's just who we are.

Sadly, despite this, not everyone can write. Not everyone can see something in their heads and effectively put that on paper for others to enjoy just as much as they do. The good ones, the great ones, have the ability to draw you in, bring the scenario, the idea to life for those of us not so fortunate enough to have that talent.

I, at least I hope I am and have been told I am, one of the fortunate ones. I have talent. Where it comes from, I haven't a clue. But, it's there and even I am amazed sometimes by it. I'll be sitting here reading something I've written and go, "Hey, you know what? I'm not so bad at this writing thing..."

Anyway, I've digressed a bit and apologize.

Moving on. Writing is like anything else. It takes practice, lots and lots of practice. Steven King, in his book, On Writing, said it best I think.

"A true writer...writes."

And it truly is that simple. If you're a writer, and my fellow Authors can back me on this I think, you write. All the time. And sometimes you do it without even realizing you are. (I wrote the next scene in one book in the shower this morning and another while I was out running errands a bit later, just to give you an example.)

Despite the fact I have a "day job" I write whenever I have free time. I'm not Steven or any of a half a dozen others, yet so the bills have to be paid. However, I've decided that I'm going to devote serious time to my writing in 2013 and see where it goes. If I've honed my craft sufficiently, then maybe I'll start to catch on and take off. We'll see.

That being said, I'm going to give you what I use to write. It's a tool, a concept and if it works for you, then please feel free to use it. It was given to me, years ago, so I don't "own it" but I've lived by it since. And if it doesn't work for you, then I hope it gives you an idea, helps you create your own tool, that you can use to craft your own works.

As I've said, writing is a talent and not one everyone has it. But the tools are there. The following is but one of them.

It was once said to me: "Writing a book is like building your favorite sandwich. You need everything to work together to enjoy it. For example, you wouldn't eat a pastrami on rye without the rye yes? Or a roast beef without the beef? No, you wouldn't. So, if you look at every book as a sandwich and you have all the elements, all the pieces, then it should work and taste o' so good!"

I was told that you need a beginning and an ending, which are your two pieces of bread. They hold the sandwich together, give you something start and end with.

The meat of your sandwich is your characters, all your characters. The good, bad and yes sometimes ugly. The meat is what makes the sandwich, well, a sandwich. If you didn't have meat, or characters, then all you have are two pieces of very boring bread.

The lettuce, tomatoes, onions or whatever it is you like on your sandwich, is the plot. These things compliment your sandwich, or the story, but they don't overwhelm it, or they shouldn't anyway. They add flavor - or as he said, "Penash!" - and make you want to keep eating, or reading, to the end.

The mayo, mustard, ketchup and what not, are your sub-plots. The little twists and turns to the story, or the bit of flavor you get now and again when you bite in and begin chewing. Again, they don't overwhelm, but compliment - send your taste buds, or your readers, off in a new, and sometimes completely unexpected direction.

He also added to make sure you love the sandwich you're eating! In other words, if you hate pastrami on rye, or mystery novels, then don't try and write one. You'll take one bite - or write one page - hate it and throw it away. But, if you love Turkey, or science fiction, then get going, start eating and before you know it, the sandwich will be gone and the book is written.

As I've said, I've used this model to write since I was 16 and as crazy as it sounds, it does work. Granted I'm not one of those that has to plot everything down to the last chapter. I never have been. Most of the time, once I "see" the opening line to a book in my head, I'm gone. I open up a word doc and just start typing. It's not until afterwards, when it's done, that I go back and apply the above tool to begin the long, arduous process of editing the words to fit it.

Sometimes though, it's not a line, but a character that I see. As in the above scenario I spoke about earlier. In that case, I put the character down first and build the sandwich around it. In other words, I'm really craving turkey but have no idea what I want to go with it! I know eventually that I'll get the rest of it down, I already have the "background world" which I developed in "Love’s Prophecy", so it'll come. But, for now, he/she is just a plain old "What if?" waiting in the wings for his story to be told.

And that's fine. When he/she starts to "yell the loudest" is when I'll pull it back out and have my turkey sandwich!

And that's all there really is too it.

Now, it's time to build your sandwich, or your story. One final bit of advice, have fun with it! Enjoy that Turkey, or Pastrami, or Roast Beef to its fullest! Savor every bite of it because if you do, then so will your readers. If you don't love it, throw it away and start over with something you do love.

I hope this helped to give you a brief glimpse into the creative process that goes on...at least for me. And if you're an aspiring Author, please, feel free to use it or not. It's whatever works for you.

Until next time.
Margaret Taylor.

BIO:
Margaret Taylor currently lives in San Antonio, TX and is scratching post for her five cats and one puppy. She is an avid writer, a novice photographer and enjoys all things paranormal and science fiction! Just ask her, she'll tell you!

Her two debut releases are:

Wolf's Paradox - Book 1 of The Layren Series

and

A First Love Never Dies - Book 1 of The Spi-Corp Series.

She also has many other current projects in the works. If you visit her blog and ask nicely, she might be persuaded to post some tasty experts! *Bring Cookies as payment please!*

BLURB:  A First Love Never Dies
In this Science Fiction Romance Action Adventure, Janel Canton must be pregnant by the time Fleet Commander Pearson Acto catches up to her again and only one man will do for that. Her one true love, sexy Montana Sheriff Jake Reeves. But returning to Earth she finds he's still mourning his dead wife and has become very comfortable in the small-town life. Will introducing him to reality of the Universe be enough for him to move on to a new love and a new home in the stars?

Sheriff Jake Reeves never thought the nerdy girl he and his cronies picked on in High School would someday become a star ship captain capable of holding her own in just about any situation. But when he meets up with Janel again at their 20 year reunion, that's exactly what he finds! Gone is the nerdy little mouse that never fought back. In it's place, is a rough and tumble, no holds barred, drop-dead gorgeous woman who he's going to have one hell of a time not falling in love with...

Join these two as they make their way through a Universe that isn't as grand as it might seem at first. Help them overcome dangers, misunderstandings, betrayal's and near-death experiences to find the kind of true love that can only exist in a sweeping Space Opera. Let Janel and Jake introduce you to the worlds beyond our own tiny corner of the Galaxy...

Explore the Universe, One Book At A Time...
BUY LINK: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D5UWYC4

Contact Info:
http://margarettaylorsthoughts.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorMargaretTaylor
www.twitter.com/AuthorM_Taylor
http://www.margarettaylortx.com

Available Now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D553XE2 Wolf’s Paradox – Book 1, The Layren Series

Available Now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D5UWYC4 A First Love Never Dies – Book 1, The Spi-Corp Series

11 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

Margaret,
I use a burger analogy for my students as well. It works for the whole story (beginning, story elements and ending) but also for teaching about chapter writing. You need the opening sentence. That's the bottom of the bun...it needs to grab the reader (can be a question, exclamation, etc.), then you have the burger. That's the meat of what you are talking about. The lettuce, tomatoes and cheese are the details that explain or go with your meet. The top bun is the transition to the next paragraph. It also needs to give the reader a reason to keep reading. My students laugh at the idea but a burger with just meat isn't very yummy. We need the details to spice up the paragraph or explain why the meat is so good. It is so important to have that visual which I still use to this day. Thanks for sharing!

jean hart stewart said...

Good simile! The book I'm writing know needs lots more mustard. And relish, maybe

Unknown said...

Exactly Ms. Melissa. It not only works for an overall story, but for each piece of it as well.

Though, I have to say if you apply it to every paragraph for a 70k novel, you're going to have a LOT of burgers to wade through...ROFL!

I love it though, thank you so much for visiting today...

Unknown said...

Oh Ms. Jean,

That's what editing is for, or as I say, going back for seconds...:D

Just remember to make sure you put stuff on - relish, mustard, onions or whatnot that *you* love because that will show through to your readers!

I hate mustard, onions and relish - no offense - so I don't use them when I write, but if that makes a good burger for you, go for it!

Thank you so very much for stopping by today! I hope my simile helps with your WIP! As I said, I don't own it, but do live by it, so feel free to do the same.

Cara Marsi said...

I love the sandwich analogy. I'm going to try that. I also love your story idea about the SuperBowl. I thought you were going to mention your hero would be Colin Kaepernick, who I think is incredibly hot.

I agree that we writers are always writing whether in our heads or whenever we have scraps of time.

I love San Antonio. Was there in 2012 for EpicCon.

Cara Marsi said...

PS-I think mustard, relish, mayo and other condiments are the spice that keeps the readers turning the pages.

Nancy Lee Badger said...

Hey Margaret, a great post. I agree with Stephen King...write! Your post makes me hungry, but I understand what you are saying. My writing is more like a box of chocolates...you never know what you'll get until...THE END!
Nancy Lee Badger
http://nancyleebadger.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hey Cara,

That's an idea, cause he is one hottie!

In your mind, who would he be? The good guy or the bad guy...

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for stopping by and sorry to make you hungry...*not*! Being "hungry" means you need to write woman, so, snap too! We are anxiously awaiting your next book don't cha know!

Unknown said...

Margaret, I've never heard the 'sandwich' analogy used for writing before, but I can say even though I'm a panster, and often 'take off' with my opening and hook and just go. But I pretty much follow through with the sandwich analogy as I write (and rewrite).
Funny, how we writers often do our work without realizing others are doing it much the same. There's a consistency there that I like.
Great blog, and thanks for sharing.

Ella Quinn - Romance Novelist said...

Great post, Margaret!! It's amazing where ideas come from. Tweeted.

Share buttons