All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Guest Blog: Sabrina York: The Thrill of Working Without a Net

I love romance. And I especially love writing erotic romance. It’s hard to believe I’ve only been a published author for a little over a year. Last April my first book, Adam’s Obsession, came out and since then, I have sold more than a dozen titles and garnered some pretty awesome reviews.

I was so gratified by the reader responses to my books, I wanted to do something to show my thanks, so I wrote a novella, self published it and put it up for free on Amazon to celebrate my anniversary and thank my readers.

Self publishing is a scary thing, much like walking on a high wire without a net…but it’s pretty exciting too and it allowed me to do some things with Rebound (such as give copies away with abandon) that I can’t always do with contracted books.

I think it’s important to push ourselves out of our comfort zones every once in a while. Yes. There are risks, but the rewards are worth the potential cost.

My biggest worry was that no one would buy the book.

I shouldn’t have bothered worrying.

First of all, worrying accomplishes nothing but the graying of the hair.

And trust me, I have enough gray hair as it is.

At some point in our careers we need to stop worrying and just wallow in the joy. Savor the thrill of creation. Of the ability to share whatever talents the world can absorb.

Secondly, the whole point of the exercise was to thank my readers. If even one person loved the book, it was worth all the effort. Rebound did make my readers happy. And people did buy the book. In droves. Imagine my delight when, on that day, Rebound shot up to #3 on the free erotica list (right next to Fifty Shades…)

And as a result, I am going to do it again. Yes, walk out on that thin wire…without a net. It is, I find, a little addictive. How funny that after we take a dare, it suddenly, somehow, becomes “old hat.”

I’m planning more books in the Tryst Island Series—following the romantic adventures of a group of friends sharing a vacation house on the fictional Trystacomseh Island in Washington State’s San Juan archipelago. There are nine more books coming. What would you like to see in this scorching erotic series?


BLURB:
Rebound- A Tryst Island Erotic Romance

Kristi Cross has had the hots for her friend, Cameron Jackson as long as she can remember, but she knows she’s not his type. She’s nothing like the women he dates. So when he suggests they play for a kiss over a game of Hearts, Kristi can’t resist. Even if she loses, she wins. Because she’s finally going to taste him.

Of course, one kiss can quickly become something altogether steamier, especially when both parties are on the rebound…


BIO:
Sabrina York, Her Royal Hotness, writes naked erotic fiction for fans who like it hot, hard and balls-to-the-wall, and erotic romance and fantasy for readers who prefer a slow burn to passion. An award winning author in multiple genres, Sabrina loves writing hot, humorous stories for smart and sexy readers.


Other Books by Sabrina York
Adam’s Obsession (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave) 
Dark Fancy (Erotic Regency, Ellora’s Cave) 
Extreme Couponing (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave)
Five Alarm Fire (Erotic Contemporary for the High Octane Heroes Anthology, Cleis Press)—coming soon 
Folly (Erotic Regency, Ellora’s Cave)
Lust Eternal (Erotic Fantasy, Ellora’s Cave) —coming soon 
Pushing Her Buttons (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave)
Making Over Maris (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave) —coming soon 
Man Hungry (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave) 
Rebound: A Tryst Island Erotic Romance (Erotic Contemporary, Available on Amazon) 
Rising Green (Erotic Horror, Ellora’s Cave) 
Saving Charlotte (Erotic Contemporary for the Smokin' Hot Firemen Anthology, Cleis Press) 
Training Tess (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave) 
Trickery (Erotic Contemporary with Magical Elements, Ellora’s Cave Hex Line) 
Tristan’s Temptation (Erotic Contemporary, Ellora’s Cave)

BIO:

Sabrina is an award winning author of erotic romance with nearly a dozen titles available, ranging from sweet & sexy erotic romance to BDSM to erotic horror. Connect with her on twitter @sabrina_york or http://www.facebook.com/sabrina.york.14. Check out her books, contest, blog and reviews on www.sabrinayork.com.

8 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Hi Sabrina:) This books looks wonderful!

I find it ironic that I went the self-pubb route in order to one day be pubbed with an honest-to-god publisher, while many of my friend already pubbed are now doing the self-pubb thing!

Did I do it backwards, lol? Seriously, congrats on venturing out on your own!

Molly Daniels said...

*head slap* Sorry; functioning on only 4 hours' sleep. That should be 'this book'.

Sabrina York said...

Molly, there is no wrong way. At least, not any more! That's what makes things so exciting.

This book was free last weekend and hit #1 in the Amazon free erotic list.

How did I do that, you may ask...

No clue. LOL

But thanks to all who downloaded it. I now have a screenshot I can gaze at dreamily when I need inspiration.

Molly Daniels said...

Just bought it:) And good for YOU!

Sandy said...

This story sounds very hot. I can't imagine writing for free when it's hard to make money anyway. lol I'm a slow writer.

Sabrina York said...

Thank you Molly!!

Sabrina York said...

Sandy, I wanted to write it and offer it as a thank you. It's been an amazing year! I am hoping new people will find me and like my work.

Now I'm working on books 2 & 3 and they are so fun to write!!!

Melissa Keir said...

I think that selfpubbing is getting very mainstream for many authors who already have a great following and it does draw publishers who want winning books to give an author who self-pubbed a try!

Like you said... win-win!

Share buttons