All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Finding Roots



Recently, I began to consider my heritage and was researching on www.ancestry.com when I came across a photograph of a family member that I had never seen. It was linked to a family tree for my mother’s family and after asking permission from the owner, who was my mother’s great-niece, I found a wealth of knowledge about my grandmother’s family, extending back to the late 900s, and portraits back as far as the 1400s. I knew that some of my mother's family were members of the UDC and DAR, but I never knew this information, and it filled me with awe.

Most people want to know that they come from strong, deep roots, and when they don’t know about their heritage, they are constantly seeking to find out more about it. I believe they seek the security of feeling like they belong.

That same search and need are certainly important to Carolina Moon in my book Coming to Climax. Carolina has to obtain a birth certificate to obtain a passport and to her shock, she discovers that she was adopted by her father Blue Moon and her now dead mother, Patty. She also finds out she wasn’t born in North Carolina like Blue and Patty told her, but, instead, hailed from New York City. Making matters worse, Carolina also discovers her Aunt Margaret, whom she primarily has lived with since her mother died, knew about the adoption a long time ago.

Margaret Palmer has her own feelings of inadequacy. Divorced decades before from an abusive man, Margaret has lived the life of a recluse in a Manhattan apartment with little contact except from Carolina, the residents in her apartment complex and a few strangers she knows through various charities. She was once in love with Carolina’s adopted father, Blue Moon, but hasn’t seen him in many years. When Carolina leaves New York, determined to confront her “adopted” father with the information she uncovered, Margaret follows, not ready to lose the one constant person in her miserable existence.

Will both of them find the true family they seek in Climax, Virginia?



This is one of the photos I found on ancestry.com My mother is the one on the right who is crouching down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbye Terry writes mystery/suspense, romance, fantasies and dystopian fiction. A Murder in Every Port, the 4th book in the Buried in Briny Bay series, was just released by Turquoise Morning Press. For more about Bobbye, visit her at www.BobbyeTerry-MysteryHappens.com and www.DarynCross.com.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Bobbye, what an interesting story about your family. Your book sounds fascinating, too.

jean hart stewart said...

Family roots are fascinating. I'll bet everyone had goodies and baddies in their history, if they only knew...

Bobbye Terry said...

Thanks, Sandy and Jean for stopping by. I thought my Dad's side of the family was the one with all the historical interest and long tenure I this country. Who knew my mom's was just as amazing, if not more so!

Believe me, Carolina learns about her roots in my book. So does Margaret. :)

Bobbye

Cara Marsi said...

Bobbye, how cool to trace your roots back to the 900's. My family has only been in the US since the early part of the 20th century. I've been to Italy and seen the "ancestral" lands, but I'd love to pursue my roots.

Great picture of your mother. I love the premise of your story.

Bobbye Terry said...

Thanks Cara. It's fun to trace the roots! But you may get some unexpected results like Carolina does in Coming to Climax.

Janice Seagraves said...

My mom is always saying you really want to know your family history, what if it's something you wish you didn't know?

I respond, maybe that's why I should know it?

Good luck with your book. It sounds really interesting.

Janice~

Share buttons