All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chocolate and Chicken Soup...



The days are finally getting longer and we’re getting a little more sunshine in my little corner of the universe. My inner cheerleader is doing cartwheels. My inner editor is tapping her foot and my muse wants to go out and play—probably because the weather could turn on a dime and she'd once again be stuck with a grouchy writer who is tired of winter.

About ten years ago, a friend of mine told me that her doctor suggested eating a Hershey bar every day to up her serotonin levels and elevate her mood during the winter when there wasn’t as much light. I know dark chocolate is good for your heart but milk chocolate?

I happened to be watching The Food Hospital last night and may have found out why. Tryptophan, an amino acid contained in milk is needed to make serotonin, the feel good chemical that signals the brain to be happy http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232248.php

Who hasn’t heard that chicken soup cures a cold? An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Garlic has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties? Sometimes, it’s difficult to separate the truth from hype but unless you’re allergic or have some dietary restriction, why not use food as your first line of defense?

I plan on adding milk chocolate bars to my grocery list this week, because I never know when the clouds might roll in again. My muse will thank me--or at least speak to me. I need to be prepared.

Have a Happy Heart Day!
Hugs,
Paris Brandon

13 comments:

Kenzie Michaels said...

I MUCH prefer milk chocolate to dark. Dark is too bitter for me, so I let the husband eat it:)

Katalina Leon said...

I love the dark stuff and melt a little shaved dark chocolate into my latte coffee every morning-delicious!

Unknown said...

I don't like dark chocolate, but I'll add milk to my grocery list. Can't hurt, right? :)

Sandy said...

I love all kinds of chocolate, but I was staying away from milk chocolate because I thought it wasn't good for me. Now, I know better. Thanks, Paris.

jean hart stewart said...

What a gret excuse to eat more chocolate...love it, especially the milky kind.

Paris said...

Kenzie,

I love them both so I have to share:)

Paris said...

Kat,

What a fabulous idea! I've been putting a little cinnamon on the coffee before I brew it but I might just add this too:)

Paris said...

Amber,

Nope, not a bit! I think chocolate is an important food group:)

Paris said...

Cris,

I was always cuckoo for chocolate cereals! Love the crisp rice one:)

Paris said...

Sandy,

Always happy to help, lol! I just bought some of the little snack sizes. Hey, I'm trying to be good:)

Paris said...

Jean,

Although I prefer the dark, I now have a very credible reason to eat both:)

Tina Donahue said...

I'm a chocoholic of the first order. Especially dark chocolate. Even as a kid, I preferred it to milk choc, which I found far too sweet. Glad it's good for me, but even if it was bad, I'd chow down. :)

Paris said...

Tina,

I have to agree! I'm a total chocolaholic:)

Share buttons