TOP TEN THINGS I LOVE & DON’T LOVE ABOUT AUTUMN
It’s September. That means, sadly, that summer is over. I love summer and I’m always in a blue funk when it ends. Fall can be beautiful with much to recommend it, but it’s not as much fun as summer.
Here are the top ten things I love about autumn, in order of importance.
10. I get to wear cool boots.
9. Leaves crunching under my feet.
8. No humidity which means my hair doesn’t fall flat like it does in the summer.
7. Good time to travel. With the kids in school, the tourist places aren’t as crowded.
6. The new TV season. I’m a TV junkie who studies TV Guide’s Fall Preview Issue every year.
5. The beautiful autumn foliage.
4. The clear, crisp air.
3. Pumpkin. I love pumpkin. I make pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin squares, and pumpkin bread. I drink pumpkin coffee and slather my English muffins with pumpkin butter. Pumpkin ice cream is a real treat that is only available in autumn. Yum, Trader Joe’s pumpkin ice cream. As soon as I hear TJ’s has this seasonal favorite in, I run out and buy it. They sell out quickly. I have a great recipe for pumpkin gingersnap ice cream.
2. My birthday is in the fall.
AND MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT AUTUMN:
1. Romance stories set in the fall. I love to write stories set in autumn. There’s something romantic about couples falling in love amid the bright foliage and the crisp air. My very first short story sale to the confession magazines was titled “The Thanksgiving Dance,” and was in the November 2009 issue of True Experience. In the opening lines I mention the leaves blowing across the parking lot right before h/h meet. My romantic suspense, “
Redemption,” starts off in early November. I describe Logan
as he puts up the collar of his black leather jacket against the autumn chill that
sweeps down the Philadelphia
streets. I’ve written several other short stories set in autumn. The beauty at
that time of year sings to the poet in me.
Things I don’t like about autumn:
10. I can’t wear sandals. I love sandals.
9. No fresh corn-on-the cob.
8. No locally-grown fruit and vegetables.
7. Not much sunshine.
6. Popular restaurants are more crowded than in the summer.
5. TV viewing cuts into my writing time.
4. Dead leaves all over our lawn.
3. School buses clogging the roads.
2. Have to wear more clothes.
AND THE THING I DISLIKE MOST ABOUT AUTUMN:
1. Winter follows
Please tell me. What are your favorite things about autumn? What don’t you like about the season?