All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, February 3, 2012

Interview of Author Adelle Laudan

Today I'm pleased to present an interview of romance author Adelle Laudan.

Latest Book: In Your Eyes
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Eyes-Adelle-Laudan/dp/0986541338

BIO:
Adelle is a mom first before anything. She has four wonderful kids, two of which (my girls) are still under her wing. Adelle lives in Southern Ontario and her passions are writing, reading, sewing and motorcycles. Adelle invites you to ride the many twists and turns of being a published author. Be sure to hang on tight, it proves to be a ride you won't soon forget.

Q: What inspires you?
A: If I'm in a slump, music can inspire me, or sometimes I will surf travel sites and research the setting of the book I'm writing. Something I see or read usually clicks and off I go again...

Q: What hobby do you enjoy when not writing?
A: I'm a pretty good sewer, but I have to be in the right mood for it. I can sit and sew three nightgowns from scratch in one evening. Of course... reading is something I love to do, but sometimes there simply isn't enough hours in the day.

Q: Do you eat comfort food when writing?
A: Doesn't everybody? My biggest food addiction is chocolate bars, and it doesn't help that the store is kitty corner from my house. My favs are Wunderbar & Toblerone Fruit & Nut.

Q: Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
A: That’s such a tough questions. How about the character I love to hate the most?
That would be Ben in In Your Eyes. Here’s an excerpt and you’ll see why.

BLURB:
Lizzy would give it all back just to hear her mother's voice one more time... the house, the furniture...even the money. Regardless,her heartless stepfather is determined to take what he feels is rightfully his. Handyman, Adam Woodward rides into Lizzy's life and vows to keep her safe, but is it enough to stop the cold, callous determination of Ben Stokes?


EXCERPT:
She hung up without saying goodbye and headed straight for the closet in her mother's room. At one end of the over-filled pole hung half a dozen black dresses from which she picked a simple one with a square neckline. The last time she'd seen this dress her mother had worn it to her birth father's funeral.

Lizzy pressed her hand against the doorjamb to stop from toppling over. Her breath came in short, rapid bursts, and the room spun around her. Is this what it feels like to have a broken heart?

She made a concerted effort to calm her breathing, taking long, deep breaths and letting them out nice and slow while making her way downstairs. Her guitar sat on the chair by the door offering comfort in her time of need. She reached out, picked it up with the familiarity of shaking an old friend's hand, and walked outside. Lizzy settled on the swing and ran one hand over the smooth mahogany finish, fingering the mother-of pearl inlays. With her eyes closed, she played her mother's favorite Gaelic song. She pictured her sitting next to her, smiling her approval.

Her heart ached, and tears ran down her face unchecked. Lizzy's fingers flitted across the strings to precisely the right place on the guitar's body. Up and down the neck, effortlessly gliding from one fret to another.

It wasn't until she smelled cigarette smoke that she realized she wasn't alone. Lizzy opened her eyes. Ben leaned against the porch column, a cigarette in his mouth; the smoke curled up and floated toward her. His steel-gray eyes were void of any emotion. It looked like he hadn't shaved in days, his clothes wrinkled and stained.

"Your aunt says you have something you want to say to me?"

She frowned at the stench of stale whiskey that wafted toward her as he spoke.

"I was just wondering what happens now," stammered Lizzy.

"How the hell should I know?" He slammed his fist down on the wooden rail. "What the hell was she doing with Steven in the car in the middle of the day?"

She didn't know how to tell him that Steven had been in a fight at school. She couldn't imagine how he'd react.

"I suppose," Ben said, his voice filled with disgust, "that you expect me to take care of you now, don't you? I'm telling you right here and now I don't owe you a damn thing!"

His face contorted, echoing the anger in his eyes.

"If you think I can look at you every day and be reminded of the bitch who killed my son, you got another thing coming."

Ben might as well have stabbed her in the heart. His words hurt as much, if not more. She couldn't believe the hate spewing from his mouth. He actually blames Mother for the accident?

He spun on his heel and stomped off to his truck, stopping abruptly before he opened the door. "You better take everything of yours and your mother's from my house. I got no use for it now. I'm selling the whole thing. I don't want no part of it—that includes you."

Lizzy pulled her knees up to her chest. She watched his tires spin in the gravel as he sped off. She sat in silence and tried to grasp the reality of what had just happened. Here she sat, eighteen years old, she'd just lost her mother, and now she was being forced to fend for herself. Where would she go?


Surprise Gift Giveaway!

Valentine's Day
Yes, I am the Scrooge of Valentine's Day. I think your love for one another should be celebrated whenever the mood strikes. So often we get all psyched for the big day, only to be let down... I'd much rather have that special someone pick a bouquet of wild flowers, just because he loves me. It means o much more than those over priced roses on Valentine's Day that usually only last a few days.

Share your thoughts on Valentine's Day and I'll draw a winner at the end of the day for a surprise gift!

http://adellelaudan.com
http://adellelaudan.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/AdelleLaudan
http://twitter.com/AdelleLaudan
Tween Mystery Series by Lora Richards:
http://lora-richards.com
Adult Fiction:
http://adellelaudan.com/ElleLaudan

6 comments:

Faith Bicknell said...

Wow, that is so cool about the nightgowns!

And In Your Eyes is a wonderful book. I've read it, dear readers. Get your copies!

Unknown said...

Oh, those guys on motorcycles. You do know your subject matter. I'm sure this is as good as The Iron Horse Rider series! Those pulled me in, for sure.
Good luck with this novel--the cover is a real eye-catcher--the guy looks like James Dean.

Maggie Toussaint said...

What Celia said!

You drew me right in with your excerpt. I can't imagine having to fend for myself at 18. I shudder to think of all the potential bad choices an 18 year old will make. Great hook of an excerpt, and your cover is pretty cool.

You asked about Valentine's Day. I waffle about its importance. I'm lucky enough to have a fulltime Valentine, and each day with him is special. We'll be apart this year on VD, but I've already tucked away a little surprise for him.

All the best, Maggie
http://mudpiesandmagnolias.blogspot.com

jean hart stewart said...

Gotta punch that guy..a moving excerpt. About the 14th: Valentines Day is so close to my birthday my family always ignored v-day and concentrated on my day. So the fourteenth means little to me. I'm doubtless the exception.

Unknown said...

Hi ladies! Thanks for the kind words about In Your Eyes. I thought the guy on the cover had that James Dean vibe too!
You are a lucky girl Maggie, sounds like your hubbie is a keeper.
How kewl to be a Valentine Baby, Jean. Happy Early Birthday to you!

Unknown said...

Adelle,
Your excerpt sucked me in. It placed me into your time and place but then left me as stranded as the main character. I've have a full-time Valentine for the past 3 years. I've been so lucky! Hope the book does well and Happy Reading!
Sincerely,
Jodie Pierce
www.thevampirequeen.webs.com

Share buttons