There's a certain mystique that goes with being an author. I tend to forget about this, because basically I’m a pretty ordinary, middle-class, middle-aged, mid-western wife and mom. Very little about me or my life is at all glamorous. Except, I’m lucky enough to get to make things up for a living. It’s not MUCH of a living, sometimes, but enough that I don’t need to go get another job, and for that, I’m extremely grateful. It occurs to me that I couldn’t do what I do without the support of a whole lot of other people, some of whom don’t often get thanked. So here goes:
- To the readers who buy my books. THANK YOU. Over and above anyone else, you are the reason I am able to do what I love. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- To the readers who send me nice notes about enjoying my books, an extra thanks to you. You may not realize how much those mean to me. I save them, and go back and read them when I’m feeling blue. It means the world to me to know that my little stories made someone smile. Really.
- To the reviewers who take the time to read, rate, and post about my books, thank you. I know the reviews aren’t always good, but I appreciate the effort and time. Really. Bonus thanks, though, if you don’t post spoilers, and took the time to spell my title and name correctly. I appreciate what you do for the romance community as a whole.
- To the cover artists who take my words and turn them into an image guaranteed to whet the appetites of the reader. I’ve been very lucky with covers, and have some very talented men and women to thank. The success of my books often comes down to you, so thank you. (Two, especially, Syneca and Frauke, have shared their genius with me over and over. HUGS!)
- To the editors and agents who have rejected me, but have taken time to patiently explain why. Thank you. I know you’re busy. I know this takes a LOT more work than a simple no. And while a rejection is always a disappointment, your comments have truly helped me grow as a writer.
- To the publishers who have taken a chance on my work. Thank you for your faith. Rhonda, Raelene, Angela, Jessica, and Claire, I owe you my career, and I appreciate all you’ve done.
- To the support staff at those publishers who format the books, upload them, sell them, promote them, and do so many more things behind the scenes, thank you. You make it all work.
- To my editors, past and present, who help my books be at least mostly coherent. I’ve had some fabulous ones! Mary, Melissa, Helen, Rhonda, Stacy, Michele, Jess and Carol. Thank you for your patience, insight, suggestions, and encouragement!
- To the folks at the Ethan Ellenberg Agency, Ethan, Evan, and Denise. Thanks for helping take my career to the next level.
- To my critique partners—you are invaluable! Thanks for keeping me of making a fool of myself, and for being cheerleaders as well. Especially Anny and the UWG.
- To my fellow authors. We’re direct competitors, but so many of you have become true friends. Thank you for all the mutual support and the years of hugs and smiles. Also for writing great stuff for ME to read. J
- To the special friends I've made along the way--I don't want to name names because I don't want to leave anyone out. You know who you are, and I love you.
- To the teachers who taught me to string together complete sentences and encouraged me to explore my imagination. Thank you.
- To my mom who shared her love of reading and romance, hooking me on the genre when I was ten. This is all for you.
- To my father, who is my biggest supporter. Love you, Dad!
- To my sons who have to deal with a nut case for a mom. Thanks.
- To my husband, who is always there to bounce ideas off of and puts up with me writing when I’m supposed to be doing other things. Thank you. Your love is my proof that Happy-Ever-After can happen.
I know I’ll come up with more, but this is a start. I can guarantee, if you’re reading this, you’re one of the people somewhere on this list. So thanks. I couldn’t do this without you.