All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Writer's Retreat

I am going on a writer's retreat and I can't wait. Five days of nothing but writing, mingling with other writers, writing, eating, writing, relaxing, and, oh, did I say writing?

It's a retreat my local RWA group takes every year - this is our tenth year. About fifteen of us go and we have a blast. Yes, it is a long weekend of intensive work, but we also find time to socialize, party, have fun, and generally enjoy ourselves while putting out amazing amounts of productivity.

We stay at a campground that has a "hotel" on the grounds so we have all the comforts of home - and don't have to cook! They do all the meals for us. One thing we don't have in our rooms is TV - which is just as well since many of us would probably tend to use it to catch up on our favorite shows (though we can do that with our computers). We also do not have WiFi (or any other kind) of connectivity in our rooms - only in the lobby of the hotel. So no email, no surfing the web, no nothing.

Just days of writing. Brainstorming with other writers. Having immediate support when we're stuck with a word or scene. It is nirvana.

This year, I have two manuscripts I'm working on - an epic fantasy and an urban fantasy - my goal is to have them both plotted out and scenes ready to go by the time I'm done. I also plan to edit a third ms I've finished but needs work. Lofty goals, but I'm hopeful. :)

Can you tell I'm excited about this? We all are. My little crit group, all five of whom are also going, has been preparing for this for weeks. We have everything we're going to work on ready to go and we're packing up our pages and red pens and plotting sheets.

So my suggestion is to you... plan your own writing retreat. It doesn't have to be four or five days like we do - it can be just a day, or even a few hours. Get together with other writer friends and start writing. Or editing. Or brainstorming. Anything to get the writing juices flowing and have fun!

See you all next week! Oh, and keep an eye on my Victoria site - I've got a new "Chosen" story coming out on May 25th that I know you'll love!

Vicky/Victoria

7 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Have fun on your retreat. I've been to one once upon a time and loved it!

Sandy said...

Vicky,

What a wonderful idea to use your retreat to write. We have one every year, too, but we have work shops, eat and socialize. I love it, but I would like to use some of the time to write. Smile.

I can feel your excitement. Enjoy!

jean hart stewart said...

Have a wonderful time! I know you will and let us all know what you produce with all that energy! Jean

Katalina Leon said...

This sounds wonderful! Have a great time.
XXOO Kat

Molly Daniels said...

Sounds like a great idea:) Yes, getting away for a while with no access to the 'net is crucial sometimes:) It forces us to concentrate on our face-to-face relationships, and intense writing sessions!

vickyb said...

Thanks all for the happy wishes. I really am looking forward to the time. Got my plot pages, character charts, and typing fingers all ready to go. Now I just need to pack! LOL

Gina Ardito said...

I've been trying to convince my local chapter to do something like this. I might point them to this post to see how successful it can be! Happy writing!

Share buttons