All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Friday, February 4, 2011

Cover Art!

Good morning readers and writer friends.

Today I'm going to blog about cover art. I've heard several people say how much the cover of a book draws the eye and makes you want to pick up the book. Personally, I think cover art is very important. I stop and look at the cover of a book and if it looks intriguing, then I'll pick it up and read the back. From there, I decide if I'm going to buy it or not. I like me some skin, too. A nice chest (Jimmy Thomas comes to mind) :-) and a really sexy pose and I'm salivating all over the place.

Now with e-publishing, I rely on the promotions from the authors and publishers including the cover and the blurbs or excerpts to sell me on the book. I can't pick it up and hold it, of course, but if the cover catches my eye, then I'll read the excerpt. If the little piece of the book I've just read grabs my attention, then off to the publisher's website, amazon, All Romance Ebooks or where ever I go to buy the book.

With romance, I definitely want my Happily Ever After and there have been a few books I've been disappointed in. I want closure in my romance novels and here lately the trend seems to be to give you a temporary satisfactory ending by getting the hero and heroine together, but not giving you enough information to say it's permanent. I'm sorry, but I like permanent. As anyone who has read any of my books knows, I do the permanent thing. My epilogues give the reader closure to the story simply because that is what I like. There have been a time or two lately where I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room at the end of a story because it stops. They might kiss and give you the impression they are together, but give me meat! I want sustenance and I hate to say it, but if I don't get it, I'm less likely to buy your next book. We buy romance novels for the feel good you get from them. Guy meets girl, they have a few problems, and they fall in love and live Happily Ever After!
This is my take on the cover art thing, promotions and I ventured off a little into endings, but I'm sure there are plenty of you out there thinking the same thing.

What are your thoughts?

~ Until next month,
Sandy

4 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

I like an HEA too, Sandy. Not necessarily a walk down the aisle, but the knowledge that these two are meant for each other. No equivocation. Even if the world around them is burning, they still will want each other. :)

Marie Rose Dufour said...

HEA is always a must for me. I agree with Tina though, it doesn't necessarily have to mean marriage. Cover art is the first thing to catch your eye as a reader. So if the guy is hot, I will check out the blurb and excerpt. I know, such a slut. LOL!

Katalina Leon said...

I want the story to end with a strong emotional connection and hope between the partners. I don't mind if the author doesn't spell out w-e-d-d-i-n-g b-e-l-l-s for one and all.
I don't care for epilogs tacked on the back of stories telling readers what to feel. Especially if the epilog is out of key with the rest of the story. I feel cheated.
XXOO Kat

jean hart stewart said...

I'm with the others who've commented. No HEA and you've lost me a future reader. I work hard on my ending, knowing they have to give satisfaction.

Share buttons