All blogs are property of authors and copying is not permitted.

Click image to one-click your copy of Soldiers of Fortune

CLICK BELOW & SUBSCRIBE TO THE RB4U NEWSLETTER

Thursday, June 10, 2010

She liked my book!


My mom called me last night. Now you may not think much of this, but mom calling me in the middle of the week in the evening is enough for me to think about grabbing the keys and heading for whatever hospital she's been admitted to. It just doesn't happen unless something's wrong.

So why is it important that she called? She wanted to tell me that she'd just finished reading my book "Akashan'te". Which almost had me grabbing my keys to run myself to the emergency room. Because my mom doesn't read books. Ever. It's just not something she does (I got my love of books and the written word from Dad). It took her several weeks to read it.

She wanted to call me and tell me how much she liked it. And that it amazed her that I could do something like that (okay, that one hurt a little, but taken in the light of what she was trying to say, I'll take it as a compliment). And that she was proud of me.

Gulp. What? She was proud of me? Again, not something Mom ever says. Not even when I graduated from college (first in the family). Or went on to get my Master's and graduated with a 4.0 average. Or... for any other accomplishments I (or my siblings) did. She was proud of me? Wow. Going for those keys again.

Before you think my mom is a mean person, she's not. She's one of the most giving people I know. Just not verbally. Her way of saying something nice is to bake you something incredibly good. Or knit something for you or buy you a small gift. Something tangible. Words have no value to her. So for her to say these things meant a lot more to me than they might to many people. It meant more than the great reviews (though I love them!) and the pats on the back from friends. Because I knew how difficult this was for her to say.

My mom called last night to tell me how much she liked my book. This is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

May you have a great day like that.

10 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

That is SO fricking cool!
My dad is like that--gestures, no words, though I know he adores me. For us verbal types, that can be tough to deal with sometimes! Congrats!

Tina Donahue said...

Aw, that's sweet. No matter how old we get, we always want our parents' approval. I'm so happy that your Mom gave you such a great gift. :)

Sandy said...

Oh, Vicky, I'm so glad your mother broke down to call you and tell you verbally what she thought about your writing. Words do mean a lot.

Hugs,
Sandy

Katalina Leon said...

What a beautiful surprise. Your mother's comment was a true declaration of love. You're so lucky!
XXOO Kat

Judith Leger said...

:D. I can relate. My husband is very much like that. Not vocal with compliments or praise so the moments when he says something a little bit along those lines leaves a memory to cherish!

That's so wonderful for you that she did tell you. Hugs!

Paris said...

It's always great when someone we love lets us know what they think of our accomplishments. Especially the ones that mean so much to us. Truly, a moment to cherish. Congratulations:-)

Cara Marsi said...

Vicky,

What a nice story. Really moving. It's true that no matter how old we get, we always want our parents' approval. My mother doesn't read books either. She never read my first book, but she told one of the residents in her assisted living center about it and lent the woman her copy. That touched me.

Carolyn Matkowsky/Cara Marsi

Molly Daniels said...

My grandmother told me the same thing several years ago...she said she and my aunt were 'just amazed' that I would actually write and publish a book:)

Makes your day when your relatives finally acknowledge your accomplishments:)

(((Hugs))) Your mommy loves you and is proud of you!

April Ash said...

Sometimes people can't put into words how they feel and "do" things instead to show love...like your mother. But, oh how wonderful to have her tell you this!
Marianne/April

jean hart stewart said...

How wonderful.... I had a mother-in-law I adored (yes, honestly) and one day she called me 'her jewel'. Still means more to me than I can say.

Share buttons